Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » high idle at random times??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: high idle at random times??
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so this problem has been real recent..and annoying..my 5.0 usually idles fine but sometimes after i get on it it will idle at about 2000-3000 rpm..i keep pressin the gas a few times and it goes away sometimes..and sometimes it doesnt..but anyways i was thinkn it was a vacuum leak..but i cant find it and it idles fine most of the time and it hasnt affected the performance at all..it just sucks when i pull up next to a cop at a stop light with my engine revving real high..lol..could it be a sensor?..i have no check engine light

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try a base idle reset before anything..its the simplest shit to try..do you have the directions for it? if not ill find em and post em

[patriot]

Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh pull the codes too... koeo and koer
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90FoX:
try a base idle reset before anything..its the simplest shit to try..do you have the directions for it? if not ill find em and post em

[patriot]

yea i know how to do that..i think ill try that tomorrow when i replace the tps with a new one i got layn around in the garage somewhere..lol..

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

well take the codes before you do any of this...because the reset requires you to disco the batt!!!!

you wanna get codes before and after

[ June 26, 2009, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is the linkage binding???

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What kind of tb do u got, my old bbk tb used to stick when ever I used to get on it

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

quote:
Originally posted by 84SVOrick:
What kind of tb do u got, my old bbk tb used to stick when ever I used to get on it

i got a bbk 70mm tb and spacer...

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
Is the linkage binding???

im not sure ill check that..could it be a sensor? i replaced the tps and it still does it..if i turn my car off the restart it it idles perfect but after i run thru the gear a wot it stay at arounf 3k

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

and im trying to get the codes read but i dnt have a code reader..

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

Stan G
¯
Member # 6226

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan G  Ford pictures for Stan G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is how to pull codes :

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,2471.0.html

Very useful info on that site .

--------------------
1985 RX-7, 347/T-5 , T/F T/W heads, typhoon intake, Tfs2 cam, pulleys, 2500 lbs .
3.63 rear gears , Megasquirt

Posts: 105 | From: Sun Coast , Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

I was looking for that site...dammit! Good shit for finding it.

Just stick a paper clip in the holes that they tell you and then use your check engine light to determine the codes. Also you can do a cylinder balance test as well.

Good luck!

I searched that site a little more and here is the correct was to reset your idle.

Not sure if this is what you did when you reset it previously... but check it out

Base Idle Reset

If you didn't reset the idle like this article says then don't replace any parts until you try this. It may fix your problem for free rather than throwing parts at it.

[ June 30, 2009, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: 90FoX ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com