Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » rear end ? welded or locker kit, which is better and last???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: rear end ? welded or locker kit, which is better and last???
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an 1984 svo, with a 5.0 engine, want to either get a locker kit or get it welded. Wut my question is which is cheaper and would last longer, and wut would I need.

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's cheaper? The Hillbilly locker...AKA "weld that shiiiittt up"...

What will last longer? A built rear-end, be it a Locker, Tru-trac, Trac-Lok, etc.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well let's call me jed and let's get er done, what shops are capable, reliable, and cost effective. I don't want 2 spend tons of money on a locker kit.

I do understand that cheap labor isn't always good, and good labor isn't always cheap.

Also wut about jus changing the clutches?

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess you go with what you can afford vs what you want. The topic of welding diff's up has been brought up before, you many want to search it. Personally, spend the lil bit of money to rebuild the stock diff and go with that. A rebuild kit is less than $75 at Summit.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
I guess you go with what you can afford vs what you want. The topic of welding diff's up has been brought up before, you many want to search it. Personally, spend the lil bit of money to rebuild the stock diff and go with that. A rebuild kit is less than $75 at Summit.

go to johnb wit a rebuild kit and some gears..n he'll take care of you

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The car has gears, jus want tru possie. How much to make this happen john?

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if your running this on the street I wouldnt weld the diff. you basically got a spool. if you want a true locker go buy one if you dont want to use clutches in your posi. A true locker has a sliding pin that locks the axles together and disengages during turns.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
A rebuild kit is less than $75 at Summit.

Do you have a part number for that kit? Last time I called Summit, there is NO rebuild kit available for the 7.5" rear diff
The only one I found was close to $175. I work at a dealership that deals in Ford parts and it isn't even available from Ford

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had mine welded up years ago. It only lasted 2 passes. Second pass it blew up. It was making 600 rwhp at the time and it was on slicks. Good idea to have some c-clip eliminators.
84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

well im not pushin 600rwhp, i honestly am not sure what my hp is. jus e cam 24lb injet edlebrock upper & lower manifold cold air long tubes o/r h-pipe new block and dats pretty much it that i can think of.

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

I assumed it was a swapped 8.8...but it isn't.

Personally, I say you find a 8.8 with gears and a built diff in it already and swap brakes/axles over.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I assumed it was a swapped 8.8...but it isn't.

Personally, I say you find a 8.8 with gears and a built diff in it already and swap brakes/axles over.

+1
jawsgear
¯
Member # 8080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jawsgear  Ford pictures for jawsgear  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
quote:
A rebuild kit is less than $75 at Summit.

Do you have a part number for that kit? Last time I called Summit, there is NO rebuild kit available for the 7.5" rear diff
The only one I found was close to $175. I work at a dealership that deals in Ford parts and it isn't even available from Ford

Brian

We have them in stock. Let me know if you need a set.

Jeff

--------------------
Jaw's Gear & Axle
916-922-5297
Parts & Service
Gears, Posi's, Lockers, Spools, & Axles
Custom Housings & Axle Shafts

Posts: 91 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Dec 2007  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What gears are in it?

Another cheap way out would be to find an 87-88 Turbo Coupe Thunderbird at a junk yard and swap out your 7.5 rear. The TC rears came with 3.55's(sticks)and 3.73(Auto) from the factory, and all your brakes will bolt up, or use the TC ones.

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com