Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » dropping a 460 in a 66 mustang

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: dropping a 460 in a 66 mustang
66coupe
¯
Member # 8549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66coupe  Ford pictures for 66coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey guys so my friends dad is willing to sell me a good running 460 really cheap. but im not sure if it will clear my engine bay with the shock towers.... how much is a mustang 2 conversion? or would i need one?

[ April 30, 2009, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: 66coupe ]

whitelx91
¯
Member # 8317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitelx91  Ford pictures for whitelx91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i wanna see pics!

--------------------
SuistangS

Posts: 380 | From: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
66coupe
¯
Member # 8549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66coupe  Ford pictures for 66coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well just fund out it wont fit unless i cut the shocktowers. and i dont have 1000 bucks to get a mustang 2 front suspension so... i guess im gonna look for a 5.0 motor or something
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not worth the trouble IMO. That thing is too heavy!

A good combo for your car would be a 351 based stroker. Should fit with a bit of modification.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
68gtscode
¯
Member # 8679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68gtscode  Ford pictures for 68gtscode    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
385 series big blocks fit nicely in 67 up cars, but I believe the shock towers on 66 and earlier cars are narrower. Here's a link to a swap kit w/ some decent pictures of a 67 up. Good luck,

Matt

http://www.mpgheads.com/Header/MotorMt.htm

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not worth the trouble IMO. That thing is too heavy!

A good combo for your car would be a 351 based stroker. Should fit with a bit of modification.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ur gonna need a 6" cowl hood.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

66coupe
¯
Member # 8549

ya im going to drop the oil pan on my 289 and see if the cranks ok and if i can switch the bearings cause i got rod knock. but im debating whether to buy a 5.0 roller motor if the motors bad or a beater. i dont have alot of money and ill only be here for about 3 more months cause im going in the navy
68gtscode
¯
Member # 8679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68gtscode  Ford pictures for 68gtscode    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66coupe:
ya im going to drop the oil pan on my 289 and see if the cranks ok and if i can switch the bearings cause i got rod knock. but im debating whether to buy a 5.0 roller motor if the motors bad or a beater. i dont have alot of money and ill only be here for about 3 more months cause im going in the navy

If it's only for 3 months I wouldn't do either... ride the bus if you have to!

Matt

F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers
¯
Member # 8971

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers  Ford pictures for F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can make a 302 do the samething that 460 will do,without all that weight on the front

--------------------
R.I.P MATT "4-Speed King"

Posts: 179 | From: RICHMOND,CA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
65mustang408
¯
Member # 8681

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65mustang408  Ford pictures for 65mustang408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
460 wont be even close. nice 302 will be perfect. 351w's with the shock towers kinda suck changing spark plugs and getting headers on. mustang II suspension is at least 2000 unless you know sombody.

--------------------
fast and cool shit

Posts: 947 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
KeithStang7
¯
Member # 1945

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KeithStang7  Ford pictures for KeithStang7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My uncle and I put a 460 in a 69 Mach1. We had to cut the towers to get it to fit. I think we took the front springs from an old lincoln just to get the front end to stay up. I was in high school at the time so it's been some time ago. We had some cooling issues during the hot months. It was a very heavy front end car. But you can't beat the sound of a true big block. You would be better off stroking a 351w. Less hassle, less cooling issues, more parts in the aftermarket world. Good Luck [patriot]

--------------------
We the unwilling
Do the impossible
For the ungrateful

Posts: 393 | From: Redding, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
94 fobra
¯
Member # 8867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 fobra  Ford pictures for 94 fobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers:
You can make a 302 do the samething that 460 will do,without all that weight on the front

not really but a 302 will do the job doesnt sound like he is tryin to build a race car a roller 302 bcam headers and intake that 66 will run good

--------------------
Im done with this ford vs chevy fight with "cafords" members. Aka big block 66 f100 but she's no longer:(

66coupe
¯
Member # 8549

would a 351 cleveland fit in my car? i can get a really good deal for it from my friend
crazyhorse
¯
Member # 5662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorse  Ford pictures for crazyhorse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the only way to fit a cleveland would be by modifying or removing your shock towers.

--------------------
1965 Mustang coupe

66coupe
¯
Member # 8549

i heard on allfordmustangs that it does fit, without modification... and several people said that so idk [Confused] hers the link

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/76441-351-cleveland-into-1965-coupe-questions.html#post1522304

has anyone done the actual swap or knows someone?

djlopez916
¯
Member # 8787

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for djlopez916  Ford pictures for djlopez916  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had a 65 with a 351c in it for a lil bit and the shock towers wrent hacked just a tight squeeze.

--------------------
89 GT VERT work in progress
05 v6 stang
97 Ford expedition

crazyhorse
¯
Member # 5662

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazyhorse  Ford pictures for crazyhorse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
i heard on allfordmustangs that it does fit, without modification... and several people said that so idk [Confused] hers the link

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/classic-tech/76441-351-cleveland-into-1965-coupe-questions.html#post1522304

has anyone done the actual swap or knows someone?

the guy who said that it fits said if a fits probly thinks the windsor and cleveland are the same size. The Cleveland is like 2 inches wider than the windsor. I had to pass on a cheap cleveland block because of that. not to mention the parts are easier to find for 302's and 351w's

--------------------
1965 Mustang coupe

66coupe
¯
Member # 8549

so it fit fine? just a little tight right? and how did u think about the setup?
the one my friends selling is based off a 351 but is a 400. so since i dont think ford made a 400 windsor and they did make a 400 cleveland im pretty sure its a cleveland.

66coupe
¯
Member # 8549

ya i just wish i could find a 351 windsor or a roller 5.0 motor complete. but i know two peple who are selling a complete good running 351 cleveland motor so idk what to do. i leave in 2 and a half months but i need a car until them.
68gtscode
¯
Member # 8679

quote:
so it fit fine? just a little tight right? and how did u think about the setup?
the one my friends selling is based off a 351 but is a 400. so since i dont think ford made a 400 windsor and they did make a 400 cleveland im pretty sure its a cleveland.

The 400 is actually a "400M" which I believe stands for "Modified." It shared some similarities with the Cleveland, but I don't think they are very good for high performance use. I do remember seeing years ago a company was making adapter plates so you could bolt on 351C intake manifolds to these things. I guess the threory is/was you could get a set of 351C 4V heads and be able to run a performance manifold. Again though, I really don't think many people try to build these things for high performance use.

As one of the previous posts stated, you'd be better off with a 351W because of the aftermarket popularity.

Matt

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com