Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » best exhaust & suspension for '03 cobra!?!?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: best exhaust & suspension for '03 cobra!?!?
sonicblue04roush
¯
Member # 7629

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonicblue04roush  Ford pictures for sonicblue04roush    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats the best set up? i want my girl to sound like a beast!! any suggestions??

not sure how much i can put on my suspension so i might have to hold off on that but damn its an eye sore to see the cobra sit so damn high.. & dont really wanna cut my springs but thats what everyones tellin me to do as a quick fix till i do get the $$ to do full suspension.. any thoughts on that?? thanks..

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a cheap, easy, proven setup would h&r springs, and the irs bushing kit from MM, don't forget to get an IRS brace too.

as far as exhaust, that's all up to you. Try out www.mustangexhaust.com for some clips of different setups, or if you hear a car on the street that you like, ask them what they have.

I love the bbk x-pipe with dynomax superturbo catback on my 32v, but it's a lot quieter than what you're wanting probably.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You want your girl to sound like a beast, huh? [Confused] You are on your own there!

H+R race springs, and an off road H-pipe and Flowmaster kit will work for your car, but your girl, hmmmmm.....

sonicblue04roush
¯
Member # 7629

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonicblue04roush  Ford pictures for sonicblue04roush    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
haha thanks.. no not talkin bout my lady
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bassani catt'd x-pipe and cat back FTW [patriot]

If you just want basic handling upgrades then go with the H&R race springs. I would also install and IRS brace and a set of full length subframe connectors. You may need a bump steer kit and possibly revised front ball joints. You should talk to a shop that has lowered one of these cars and confirm.

Maximum Motorports make some pretty good kits to beef up the IRS.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have always been a fan a fan of the sound of Borla and Magnaflow.
sonicblue04roush
¯
Member # 7629

quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
Bassani catt'd x-pipe and cat back FTW [patriot]

If you just want basic handling upgrades then go with the H&R race springs. I would also install and IRS brace and a set of full length subframe connectors. You may need a bump steer kit and possibly revised front ball joints. You should talk to a shop that has lowered one of these cars and confirm.

Maximum Motorports make some pretty good kits to beef up the IRS.

yup jus might go with that M.M. kit cause thats what im hearin from a lot of peeps..
sonicblue04roush
¯
Member # 7629

quote:
Originally posted by essasin:

i bought the car used.. i guess the previous owner threw on some magna flows on but i dont kno what stage they are.. theyre kinda quiet, im sure magna flow has some louder more deep sounding mufflers but i definatly wanna check out what bassani has to offer as well.. any good exhaust shops?? im in the east bay but willing to make a drive.. i guess any shop can do an install but id rather go to one thats worked on stangs..
03Sn8k3
¯
Member # 8170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03Sn8k3  Ford pictures for 03Sn8k3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am runing flowmasters right now they sound good I am runing off road x and its creams but i am thinking of selling my catback but will see what i am going to put?????

--------------------
NO JK

Posts: 519 | From: Bay Area,Ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sonicblue04roush:
quote:

i bought the car used.. i guess the previous owner threw on some magna flows on but i dont kno what stage they are.. theyre kinda quiet, im sure magna flow has some louder more deep sounding mufflers but i definatly wanna check out what bassani has to offer as well.. any good exhaust shops?? im in the east bay but willing to make a drive.. i guess any shop can do an install but id rather go to one thats worked on stangs..
Ah. I think you'd be very happy going with Bassani or Spintech to get that raw grunt. Dynomax and Borlas have a more mellow tone.
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sonicblue04roush:
quote:

the car will not have the sound you're looking for by just changing the mufflers, you need to change the mid-pipe, and muffler shops will not do that for you because it's illegal, got jack stands?

an x-pipe will give you the sound you want with the magnaflows.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, gotta dump the cats to get the sound you want. An off road pipe makes all the difference. I put a Jegs off road H-pipe on my friend's '04 Mistichrome and it sounds like a beast.

[ April 21, 2009, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: phildog ]

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bassani o/r x pipe and borla stinger catback FTW!!

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
LX347hatch
¯
Member # 8668

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LX347hatch  Ford pictures for LX347hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
big +1 on the o/r bassani x with the stingers ...that shit sounds ridiculouly siiiick...haha
Posts: 1416 | From: El Sobrante | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
flows with a upr catted xpipe sound bad ass.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1HaTCheD5LiTEr:
bassani o/r x pipe and borla stinger catback FTW!!

+2 [worship]

[ April 23, 2009, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: F8LSN8K ]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
06Xrunner
¯
Member # 6992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 06Xrunner  Ford pictures for 06Xrunner  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is a video of mine, it has a Bassani Catted H pipe and catback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkIQYZFYxIE

--------------------
01 Black GT 526WHP sold
2012 5.0 GT 625WHP sold
1984 Buick G/N Built and boosting...

Posts: 2124 | From: Chico, Ca | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
lilowhit
¯
Member # 8306

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilowhit  Ford pictures for lilowhit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like you got the exhaust covered but as far as suspension save save save save and get a Griggs I know you'll happy but it cost. It's worth it. It took me 10 years to buy my gr40 and now I'm putting it in. Go to griggsracing.com and check out their demo rides coming soon.
68gtscode
¯
Member # 8679

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68gtscode  Ford pictures for 68gtscode    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're not going to get any useful recommendations on exhaust- everyone's going to tell you what they have is the best! I just had a stainless bassani catted x and magnaflow catback installed on my car. I just heard it for the first time today and personally think it sounds superb. It is not the loudest, but that's what I was going for.

If you want loud, I have a like new (500 mile) Bassani O/R X and SLP loudmouth combo I'll sell you. It will surely sound like a beast, just too loud of a beast for my liking. Good luck,

Matt

alexdel209
¯
Member # 9239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexdel209  Ford pictures for alexdel209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeha all dependss on what kind of sound you want i have borla stinger catback and a slp offroad xpipe on my 01 cobra and it sounds good i always get alot of compliments on it but i might change the catback if i get longtubes.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com