Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Explorer GT40 Intake

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Explorer GT40 Intake
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0JerM  Ford pictures for 5.0JerM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just picked one up today and was wondering if you need to buy an elbow for it or can I just bolt it right on with my 70mm throttle body and spacer?. I was reading about this on stangnet, and they were saying something about an elbow adapter. Also is the gaskets I need going to be the same as if it were the tubular gt40 intake? Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

--------------------
1987 Black Notchback (I'm back!)
1989 White Notchback (4cyl-V8 conversion) R.I.P
1990 Blue Notchback (orginal 5.0) Sold
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're going to run a EGR, you'll need to run a spacer. No need for the elbow. And yes, the gaskets are the same as a GT40 tubular. Make it easy on yourself and just ask for a 93-95 Lightning upper gasket kit.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0JerM  Ford pictures for 5.0JerM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Koo....thanks John B!!

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

One more question. Will I need a spacer between the upper and lower intake? Any advantages/disadvantages with or without the spacer? Also how many in. Spacer should I get if u guys recommend I get one??

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i run an explore upper on mines cus it makes it look stock lol anywas u dont need no heat spacer use u want to then u got get a cowl hood so hood will close. the one problem u might run into is the vacum lines and what not. did u pick up the lower part two?

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Yeah. I bought the upper and lower. What's going to be the problem with the vaccum lines? I'm probably going to have my friend who works for ford install it so I'll let him deal with it.

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for u stay in hayward? i stay in sl u can take a llok at mines i think u also gota drill a hole for the coolant temp sensor two

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Yeah. I stay in Hayward..damn...hopefully I don't have to drill any holes. You stay in slz or San leandro?? Can anyone confirm if you have to drill any holes for the coolant temp sensor??

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

SAN LEANDRO I THINK U DO GOTA DRILL CHECK OUT THE LOWER AND MATCH IT TO THE STOCK ONE AND SEE IF THE TEMP SENSOR HOLE IS THERE

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

03Sn8k3
¯
Member # 8170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03Sn8k3  Ford pictures for 03Sn8k3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
YES U HAVE TO DRILL 2 HOLES ONE FOR THE AIR AND THE OTHER FOR WATER I PUTING THE SAME ONE RIGHT NOW ON MY 5.0 I GOT THE INTAKE FROM 97 EXPLOTER AND GASKETS I HAD TO DRILL 2 HOLES FOR IT TO WORK OR ELSE UR CHECK ENGINE LIGHT TURNS ON ITS NOT TO HARD BUT U NEED A 3/8 PIPE OR DL 37/64 885 U CAN BUY THIS AT NAPA AUTO PARTS JUST DRILL A HOLE CLOSE TO 3/8 PIPE AND THEN PUT IT AND START TURNING INTILL U FELL GETING HARDER [Wink]

[ April 02, 2009, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: 03SVTNOJK ]

--------------------
NO JK

Posts: 519 | From: Bay Area,Ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com