Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Automatic Transmission

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Automatic Transmission
LuvMyStang
¯
Member # 8987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuvMyStang  Ford pictures for LuvMyStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So lately my tranny has been slipping a lot, and I've been told that my tranny is going out. A friend of mine said first I can go get a belt and the liquids changed or any of that stuff to see if it works. And if not then I need to replace the whole transmission. I was wondering if anyone can agree or have any other bits of advice or estimates on how much you think getting my tranny replaced would cost. This is my first mustang so I don't know that much.

Thanks alot.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT 5.Woah

Posts: 29 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
LuvMyStang
¯
Member # 8987

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for LuvMyStang  Ford pictures for LuvMyStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys. I appreciate it...

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT 5.Woah

Posts: 29 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
86redGT
¯
Member # 6961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86redGT  Ford pictures for 86redGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know on my t-bird that when it started slipping bad the car was pretty much in its death throes. Mine was bad tho i mean BAAAD the car would move but i had to floor it etc. I tried adding fluid and whatnot but it made little difference.

However my knowledge of Ford AOD transmissions is limited, ive been driving manuals ever since and doubt i will ever buy an auto care again. Especially since ive heard a lot of the mid 90's ford automatics have had problems.

Just check to make sure the fluid levels are alright, and make sure you check it when it is cold and on level ground or you will get a reading that is off.

--------------------
2003 Mustang Cobra
2016 Fiesta ST

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its not as simple as dropping the pan and changing a belt. There are clutches and bands inside the trans that go bad or the fluid pressure is getting low causing it to slip. You can try changing the fluid and filter but most of the time that won't fix the problem or could make it worse. You should plan on replacing the trans and try the fluid/filter change so your prepared if it dies. If you continue to drive with the trans slipping it does even more damage.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com