Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » L/T headers Install

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: L/T headers Install
silver n black
¯
Member # 8369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silver n black  Ford pictures for silver n black    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just bought sum mac L/T headers 4 my 2000 stang. I was wondering if there was any problems i might run into during the install? Anybody?
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alot of cussing, busted knuckles, more cussing, a late night or two, a car that doesn't pass visual for smog, and you'll still have a motor that doesn't have enough nuts to make putting LTs in worth it! j/k [Wink]

Honestly, you need the car up REALLY high, a engine cradle, and drop the K-frame. Only easy way to do it.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Alot of cussing, busted knuckles, more cussing, a late night or two, a car that doesn't pass visual for smog, and you'll still have a motor that doesn't have enough nuts to make putting LTs in worth it! j/k [Wink]

Honestly, you need the car up REALLY high, a engine cradle, and drop the K-frame. Only easy way to do it.

+1 you have to drop the k member, it helps alot if you have air tools and a lift, i have done it in the driveway but it sucks and takes twice as long and you really camt do it your self.

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
silver n black
¯
Member # 8369

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silver n black  Ford pictures for silver n black    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
instead of droppin the k-member shouldnt i drop the 5sp tranny out. Then jack the motor up high enough tell they slide in.
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
to me thats too much work, only 8 bolts and the k member is free. bring it to me and i will put your headers on for 300 in 2 1/2 hours.

[ March 17, 2009, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: blown95svt ]

--------------------

sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont drop the kmember unbolt the motor mounts and raise the engine the more u raise easier. raise the car up alot. driver side should slide in threw the top if u take the valve covers off way easier. passenger from underneath. i did mine and im very happy i also did stage 3 cams n ported heads

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Posts: 1650 | From: Modesto ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by silver n black:
instead of droppin the k-member shouldnt i drop the 5sp tranny out. Then jack the motor up high enough tell they slide in.

no! you won't be able to reinstall the tranny.. unbolt the motor mounts. get a hoist to hold up the engine. get a tranny jack to hold/lower the k. imo this is the easiest way.. i have done this a few times in my drive way. air impact tools greatly speed up the time it takes...

ps.. johnb is right...long tubes cause more problems then they are worth.. once they are on you damn neer have to drop the k to do anything. [patriot]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

silver n black
¯
Member # 8369

thanx 4 da info guys ima start it sum time this weekend
whitelx91
¯
Member # 8317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitelx91  Ford pictures for whitelx91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ill do it for 250! well have it done in 10,800 seconds! [Big Grin]

--------------------
SuistangS

Posts: 380 | From: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
silver n black
¯
Member # 8369

wow too bad it wud take u 3hours to get to my house n 3 hours to get back home
FORD POWER
¯
Member # 7860

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FORD POWER  Ford pictures for FORD POWER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Installed Hooker LT's on my 93 and took me 6hrs. There a pain in the @$$. Jacked up the car and didn't have to drop K-Member or tranny; thank god for slip fit [Big Grin]

YOUR KNUCKLES WILL DEFINANTLY SUFFER.

--------------------
Car 4Sale

sleeping stallion
¯
Member # 8162

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping stallion  Ford pictures for sleeping stallion    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
93 and 200 are way way different

--------------------
1990 coupe HCI Boost
SEMPER FIDELIS

Posts: 1650 | From: Modesto ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
94 fobra
¯
Member # 8867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 fobra  Ford pictures for 94 fobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FORD POWER:
Installed Hooker LT's on my 93 and took me 6hrs. There a pain in the @$$. Jacked up the car and didn't have to drop K-Member or tranny; thank god for slip fit [Big Grin]

YOUR KNUCKLES WILL DEFINANTLY SUFFER.

why did it take you 6 hours on a 93 must of been a few lunch breaks in there

--------------------
Im done with this ford vs chevy fight with "cafords" members. Aka big block 66 f100 but she's no longer:(

svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when doing longtubes, loosen the k-member bolts, it makes it that much easier, I do that when I do them on vettes, And it makes all the difference in the world.And warhorse is right, this job isn't really worth it without air tools,they greatly speed the job up.

[ March 30, 2009, 03:44 AM: Message edited by: svfreerider87 ]

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

loosen the k member? you have to pull it bud. and for the guy doing the headers, if your not sure what your doing take it to someone that does.

--------------------

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

also what kind of headers do you have? with macs you have to pull the steering shaft out and route it through the headers, and make sure not to let the shaft spin freely or else you will damage the spiral cable for the airbags

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com