Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » The source of my knocking sound

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: The source of my knocking sound
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I tore everything down got the valve cover off (drivers side). And this is what I found (check pics). Sorry the pics arent great. But the rocker on the driver side by the firewall, seems to be out of place, like it is flat. How bad is that? Advice please.

-

-

whitelx91
¯
Member # 8317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitelx91  Ford pictures for whitelx91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Man i cant tell whats goin on with these pics see if you could take some more less bright ones. Also bring that rocker to the flat on the cam.

--------------------
SuistangS

Posts: 380 | From: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ill try to take some better ones tomorrow. But the rocker in question is in a visibly deformed position. And it happens to be the one in the area of the noise.
4MY8TERS
¯
Member # 7840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4MY8TERS  Ford pictures for 4MY8TERS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can u move it around? I would say broke pushrod, or bad lifter

--------------------
1985 Notchback-393w Vortech
1991 Convert Lx-H/C/I-Vortech
1984 T-Top 306-H/C/I

Posts: 2337 | From: THE GOLDEN CITY AKA SFC | Registered: Aug 2007  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

I didnt try too hard but no it cant be moved by hand I would say.

ill see about better pics tomorrow

90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
could be a stuck lifter i guess...just gott check it out

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

89goose
¯
Member # 7196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89goose  Ford pictures for 89goose        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
from my experience with this issue - on my 289 it was doing that on several rockers - the problem was a a combo of bad lifters and warn lobes on my cam.
i would suggest changing the lifter and see , fi not make sure the push rods are same length, and if still the same - might looking into a new cam. look at it on the bright side - youll have a new cam,lifters and possibly pushrods [Smile]

hope this helps

N8
¯
Member # 6048

update, ended up being a floated valve. Replacing the suspect valve shortly.
whitelx91
¯
Member # 8317

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for whitelx91  Ford pictures for whitelx91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
update, ended up being a floated valve. Replacing the suspect valve shortly.

You might want to check the spring to if your valve is floating.

--------------------
SuistangS

Posts: 380 | From: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com