Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need advice on my sound system…

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need advice on my sound system…
Cobraboy
¯
Member # 7826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobraboy  Ford pictures for Cobraboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went and bought one of these today… the guy at the store said they are great subs and they were on sale for 200 a piece so I couldn’t resist.

Anybody ever heard of them??? I have never in my life heard of this company haha. But they seem legit. Based in modesto from what I understand

http://www.zapco.com/prod/Speakers/i-Force/i-12D_Frame.htm

I also bought a pretty nice 500w amp…

The question I have is with the specs of this sub in mind… If I eventually wanted to throw another 12 in there would I need a new amp?? The guy who sold me the stuff said I wouldn’t but I don’t see how a 500w amp can handle two 300w subs…

Maybe I am missing something… any thoughts?

This is the amp I bought.

http://www.drdetailshop.com/co500.1.htm

What do you guys think?

Posts: 552 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  :
aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aj5.0916  Ford pictures for aj5.0916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
me i would return all that shit you have to look at rms thats what matters your subs are only 200w rms the amp 250rms on the subs you paid for the name zapco makes great amps for the same price i would have got some alpine type r they slap and are bout 750ish rms and a good brand i would return it depending on how loud you wanna be in my notch i run 2 12inch cvx kicker 800w rms 1500 max pushed by hifonics 2000 watt rms on highs i have another hifonics on six 6 by 9s two tweets and 2 door speakers

--------------------
im all outta favors fuck you pay me! jus me an ma wife!

Posts: 426 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for aj5.0916  Ford pictures for aj5.0916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlTudSowX9c&feature=related check em out

--------------------

Cobraboy
¯
Member # 7826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobraboy  Ford pictures for Cobraboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So you think I should get a different sub for this amp?

... one with more output??

Cobraboy
¯
Member # 7826

quote:
Originally posted by aj5.0916:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlTudSowX9c&feature=related check em out

Are you serious? How am I supposed to compare sounds of different setups other than actually hearing them?
aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

i think you should return it all and get new subs and a new amp im not sayin compair wit out hearin them im just sayin based on specs 200w rms come on thats nothin they wont really do to much

--------------------

Cobraboy
¯
Member # 7826

quote:
i think you should return it all and get new subs and a new amp im not sayin compair wit out hearin them im just sayin based on specs 200w rms come on thats nothin they wont really do to much

This is true....

Maybe a new amp that puts out somewhere around 1,000 then a sub that puts out something like 5-800??

If I were to run that much juice to a sub, plus the two amps currently in there (for the rest of the speakers... it's a mach 460) would I have charging issues?? I wouldn't think so... but I don't know.

aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

assuming your running your amps in the trunk or behind the seat put another batt in the trunk get a neg batt cabel bolt it in the trunk other end to neg terminal your hot+ wire from the front to the pos on the second batt then run a short hot wire to your amps if your still worried then put a in line isolator this allows alternator to charge both but your rear batt wont take away from your startin batt

--------------------

99Mamba
¯
Member # 7506

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99Mamba  Ford pictures for 99Mamba    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get some square L7 Kickers with matching amp and call it a day!
Posts: 660 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Mar 2007  |  :
aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

or cvx thats what i got now had L5s in my hatch they was pretty good but the rubber around them would come loose gotta take the rim off and reglue it

--------------------

aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/1059063422.html perfect or get em new

--------------------

aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/1059063422.html perfect or get em new or these wit the perfect amp http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/1058745869.html

[ March 04, 2009, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: aj5.0916 ]

--------------------

Cobraboy
¯
Member # 7826

"barely broken in and run at half power. dvc 4ohm"

What does he mean they run at half power?

NOTCH-FOX
¯
Member # 8636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NOTCH-FOX  Ford pictures for NOTCH-FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pretty much he jus ran them at rms wattage, about half the wattage of the max rated wattage of the sub. all new sub needs to be broken in so the coils can sit well inside the sub. so light bass for 20-30 hours.
Cobraboy
¯
Member # 7826

quote:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/1059063422.html perfect or get em new or these wit the perfect amp http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ele/1058745869.html

Just called the guy...

Done deal. Thanks for the find buddy I appreciate it.

So I won't need like a new alternator or something with this setup right?

Cobraboy
¯
Member # 7826

quote:
Originally posted by NOTCH-FOX:
pretty much he jus ran them at rms wattage, about half the wattage of the max rated wattage of the sub. all new sub needs to be broken in so the coils can sit well inside the sub. so light bass for 20-30 hours.

gotcha... thanks
aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

he ran them at 4ohm means he is not pushing them all the way 2ohm is all way meaning bridging the subs you can also bridge a amp makes it slap harder bridgin is easy makes it slap louder

--------------------

aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

you can run your amp to 1ohm but gotta make sure its 1ohm stable

--------------------

NOTCH-FOX
¯
Member # 8636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NOTCH-FOX  Ford pictures for NOTCH-FOX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe a battery cap, if u have a fox u should upgrade alternator.
NOTCH-FOX
¯
Member # 8636

maybe a battery cap, if u have a fox u should upgrade alternator.
Cobraboy
¯
Member # 7826

Nah it's a 98 cobra... so will I be ok as far as charge issues go??

A buddy of mine had a similar setup... 2 type R's with a 1000w amp and had no apparent issues. I think I will be fine but I want to make sure... really don't feel like replacing my new alternator....

aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

i would do a extra batt chack it out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ckuc2dfVV4&feature=related /////////http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yagui6O38TA&feature=related

--------------------

fastertoys1
¯
Member # 5270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastertoys1  Ford pictures for fastertoys1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
invest in dynomat it will completly change the sound of rveryhing. It's not cheap though.
aj5.0916
¯
Member # 7968

yup no problem

--------------------

Sydewayz 24/7
¯
Member # 8725

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz 24/7  Ford pictures for Sydewayz 24/7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I work at street beat in hayward and we carry that amp but the subs are just junkand get a better amp if ur close come to us in hayward

--------------------
Stayin Sydeways

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com