Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » my starter or fly wheel went bad. (need help on how to replace it)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: my starter or fly wheel went bad. (need help on how to replace it)
notch yours
¯
Member # 8831

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for notch yours  Ford pictures for notch yours    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just like what the post says, my starter or flywheel i think went bad on my 92 notch. i tried starting it earlier and it just made this loud grinding noise and my car wouldn't turn all the way and after it makes the loud grinding noise, you hear something kinda spinning, my friend says it could be the starter or flywheel, i'm hoping it's not the flywheel. how hard is it to replace a starter, is there a quick way to replace it. i am new to the mustang seen so i'm still learnig a lot. if someone can direct me to a link or tell me step by step on how to replace a starter, it would really be appreciated. thanks guys and also how can i check if my flywheel is also bad
djlopez916
¯
Member # 8787

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for djlopez916  Ford pictures for djlopez916  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
disconnect the battery and remove the two bolts holding the starter and look to see if the teeth are chewed up

--------------------
89 GT VERT work in progress
05 v6 stang
97 Ford expedition

notch yours
¯
Member # 8831

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for notch yours  Ford pictures for notch yours    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i don't have time right now to check it out but is it true that you have to take off the k member to get to the starter?
djlopez916
¯
Member # 8787

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for djlopez916  Ford pictures for djlopez916  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NO!! Who told you that ? [Confused] just jack it up or drive it on ramps. The top bolt is a bitch but if u got extensions or the swivel adapters ur all good.

--------------------
89 GT VERT work in progress
05 v6 stang
97 Ford expedition

notch yours
¯
Member # 8831

thanks for the tip. believe it or not i actually bought one of those chiltons mustang repair books and thats what it said, to take the k-member out, i am so close to throwing that book away, they aren't even that specific about anything because they got like 5 to 6 other style cars that they talk about.
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with the right tools its a 10 min job..i used racheting box wrenches and it was real simple
Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
notch yours
¯
Member # 8831

thanks
Venomousnotch
¯
Member # 8695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomousnotch  Ford pictures for Venomousnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like your starter is gone.I sent you a Pm.Thanx

--------------------
🏁•2004 MUSTANG SVT COBRA•🏁

"WHEN THE WHINING STARTS,IT MEANS JUSTICE IS ABOUT TO BE SERVED"..

Posts: 7604 | From: *NORTHERN*KILLA4NIA* | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, getting the starter out isn't too bad. Make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable. Jack up the passenger side of the car.

The trick is to use a few extentions and a wobble to get at the bolt from the front of the car.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chilton's is shit...

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
2SIK GT
¯
Member # 3381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2SIK GT  Ford pictures for 2SIK GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
same happened to me........ sounded like a starter was bad but the starter gear (bendiix)or however u spell it...well it got worn out but 4 of my teeth where gone on the flywheel so i had to replace the ring gear on it ...........and it cost me 70 bucks plus the gear on the starter it was an additional 20 bucks.... but i pulled it apart in a couple of hours

--------------------
all u see is tail lights if u where driving a chevy

Posts: 979 | From: San Jose Ca | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Jim Nelson
¯
Member # 8929

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Nelson  Ford pictures for Jim Nelson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
2sikgt needs to call his cousin.

--------------------
Jim Nelson

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if its loose just tighten it...mine did the same thing
i tightened it and it was good as new

[ February 28, 2009, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: 1HaTCheD5LiTEr ]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers
¯
Member # 8971

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers  Ford pictures for F.or O.nly R.eal D.rivers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1HaTCheD5LiTEr:
if its loose just tighten it...mine did the same thing
i tightened it and it was good as new

Could just be loose

--------------------
R.I.P MATT "4-Speed King"

Posts: 179 | From: RICHMOND,CA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com