Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fucken car .. NEW motor and clutch and now wont go into gear ! Read and Help plz !

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fucken car .. NEW motor and clutch and now wont go into gear ! Read and Help plz !
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lsxoo7  Ford pictures for lsxoo7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok so i finally got around to installing a 306 with edelbrok heads and x cam along with a new spec 3 clutch ...

car is running like shit but its fine cause its in the self learn mode after the maf conversion still havent driven it enough to wrok itself out ... but the car sounds good so thats not the issue ..

i have a tremec WC t5 in it .. ran perfect before the engine swap and new clutch..

i finally got everything done running and timed today .. i take out the car around the block but the fucken thing will go in gear but not engage the clutch and it wont move..

i installed a brand new spec 3 clutch along with the trow out bearing and pilot bearing that came with the kit . i also had the flywheel machined .

so i figures its one of two things..

either i put the new trow out bearing in wrong ??

or the old POS stock clutch cable isnt letting the clutch fully engage ..

wich is most likely ? im still getting really firm pedal feel and all the gears are going in but the car is going no were ..

i would rather not have to take that damn thing out again .. its like the 4th time the engine has gone in and out since i got the car and i have less than 100miles since i bought it late last august ..

so help me out and give me some advise ..

but on a good note the engine H/C/I sound awsooome ..

just need to be able to drive this damn thing lol thx for the help !!

89goose
¯
Member # 7196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89goose  Ford pictures for 89goose        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
id first try and change the cable-make sure its ford oem. if that fails- try changing the clutch back to what you had- because u know it already worked.
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lsxoo7  Ford pictures for lsxoo7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah the old clutch was a pos used one ..

and im thinking it is the clutch cable not letting the clutch engage ...

the clutch fork looks like it alread has too much load on it .. its not all the way back ..

so maybe the clutch cable is too short .im thinking an aftermarket cable with an adjustable quadrant would fix my problem ..

i left it in 1st gear and reved up to motor and a few seconds later the car inched forward lil by lil .. so i think the trow out bearing is not the issue ..

anyone think otherwise ?

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its the cable your spec stage 3 has alot more pressure than the old clutch..get an adjustable one and youll be fine

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

yeah hopefully thats it ..whats the better of the many adjustable clutch cbles and quadransts sold ?
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ford Racing. Vic Hubbards has them in stock.
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

so thats the better one ? yeah i gave them a call and they said they had them in stock .

does anyone think it may be sumthing else or is this a 100% sure thing ?

S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like the clutch cable is too tight (there's probably no freeplay in the clutch pedal whatsoever). If the car still has the stock self adjusting mechanism, pull up on the clutch pedal. This will dis-engage the pawl from the quadrant and it will self-adjust.
CA50
¯
Member # 8847

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CA50  Ford pictures for CA50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by lsxoo7:
ok so i finally got around to installing a 306 with edelbrok heads and x cam along with a new spec 3 clutch ...

car is running like shit but its fine cause its in the self learn mode after the maf conversion still havent driven it enough to wrok itself out ... but the car sounds good so thats not the issue ..

i have a tremec WC t5 in it .. ran perfect before the engine swap and new clutch..

i finally got everything done running and timed today .. i take out the car around the block but the fucken thing will go in gear but not engage the clutch and it wont move..

i installed a brand new spec 3 clutch along with the trow out bearing and pilot bearing that came with the kit . i also had the flywheel machined .

so i figures its one of two things..

either i put the new trow out bearing in wrong ??

or the old POS stock clutch cable isnt letting the clutch fully engage ..

wich is most likely ? im still getting really firm pedal feel and all the gears are going in but the car is going no were ..

i would rather not have to take that damn thing out again .. its like the 4th time the engine has gone in and out since i got the car and i have less than 100miles since i bought it late last august ..

so help me out and give me some advise ..

but on a good note the engine H/C/I sound awsooome ..

just need to be able to drive this damn thing lol thx for the help !!

--------------------
......REDLINE......

CA50
¯
Member # 8847

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CA50  Ford pictures for CA50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i would try pulling the clutch pedal upward i ran thru da same problem when i changed my clutch and wat u described is exactly wat happend to me so u might wanna try it and save urself some money in buying all those cables

--------------------
......REDLINE......

lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

souds like a good idea ima try that right now .. ill keep evryone updated..
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

ok i pulled up on the clutch pedal and it worked ..

but the pedal is too low to the floor .. the car does run now but its too still not letting me go trow the gears now its giving too much slack ..

soim guessing ima have the get a new adjustable cause i been messing with it for about an hour and still no progress it either is too tight and it wont let me engage or too loose that it wnt let me reengage the clutch to switch trou the gears .. damn it !!

are adj clutch cables and quadrant hard to instal ??

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The quadrant is a pain because it is up and to the right of the gas pedal, and access is a pain, unless you are used to working upside down...

Clutch cable is easy.

An adjustable cable is a necessity on cars with aftermarket clutches, and the aluminum quadrants are much stronger than the factory equipment. It's a good upgrade that no one should be without.

lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

ha ha i figured .. this car has had anything that could go wrong actually go wrong . so that prob gona be a pain in the ass too .. anyone have online insturctions or anything of that sort ?
1993GT
¯
Member # 7948

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1993GT  Ford pictures for 1993GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sure is your cable stock cables stretch after so much pedal abuse! ive done the job many times takes 30 min's or so. Makes it easier if you cant squeeze in there to take the driver seat out. 2 nuts 2 bolts 15mm socket! [burnout]
Posts: 866 | From: CALIFORNIA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

taking the seat out seems like a good idea and i need new seats anyways so it might be like killing 2 birds with one stone ..
Venomousnotch
¯
Member # 8695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomousnotch  Ford pictures for Venomousnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran into the same god damn problem your having.Get a new clutch cable from ford don't get the ones from autozone,kragens or anything like that cause they're all garbage.Install the cable after your all done installing the cable step on the clutch cable at least 6 times by depressing it slowly.Then put the car in first gear.Do not turn car to running possition and pull the clutch pedal towards you and you will hear a click and that tells you that the clutch quadrant has automatically set its pedal position.Next fire up the car and then you shouldn't have the problem.And you should be ready to drive it and enjoy it.LMK

--------------------
🏁•2004 MUSTANG SVT COBRA•🏁

"WHEN THE WHINING STARTS,IT MEANS JUSTICE IS ABOUT TO BE SERVED"..

Posts: 7604 | From: *NORTHERN*KILLA4NIA* | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

thanks aloot it seems like a really good idea but i might as well buy the ford racing adjustable one anyways since im gona buy one anywyas .,. do u knw how much just the cable cosst ?
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

ok got it fixed went and bought the ford racing adjustable cable from vic hubbarts and the car runs !! like shit but its running !! yaay lol ...

just need to work alot of lil bugs out of the system !

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com