Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rear disk question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Rear disk question
MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeD.  Ford pictures for MikeD.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I am looking at throwing a complete disk to disk rear end into my 90 and was wondering what i need bare minimum to do it and what I should get to do it right.

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

Posts: 2854 | From: Vacaville Ca, 707 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check out this web site

http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/mustang/5lug.html

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeD.  Ford pictures for MikeD.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so basically I can just swap them out because I have 5 lug i just want disk.

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

91LxStang
¯
Member # 8378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91LxStang  Ford pictures for 91LxStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are you planning on dropping a sn95 rear end into your 90 or, do you plan on just putting some axles with all accessories into your rear end?
86redGT
¯
Member # 6961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86redGT  Ford pictures for 86redGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you're looking to stick with 4 lug, i got a complete disc rear end out of a 87 turbo coupe with 3:55 posi and disc brakes that bolted straight into my mustang, I got it out of a wrecking yard on one of their half price days for $62 out the door, by far the cheapest you will find anywhere.
However now that i want to convert my car to 5 lug i am having a hard time trying to find a proper length axles to fit, and i had to get my rear rotors drilled out, but for the price you cant beat it.

[ January 14, 2009, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: 86redGT ]

--------------------
2003 Mustang Cobra
2016 Fiesta ST

MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

its a whole sn95 rear axle

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you need a matching disc brake master cylinder/booster setup, e-brake cables, and brake lines for the rear end, 95gt brake lines work the easiest.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
86redGT
¯
Member # 6961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86redGT  Ford pictures for 86redGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did have to replace master cylinder and, brake booster, as well as add a proportioning valve for the rear brakes, however i was able to salvage the stock lines for the rear end which saved me a ton of time.

--------------------
2003 Mustang Cobra
2016 Fiesta ST

MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

ok so my stock m/c and booster wont work at all or will it just be a soft brake pedal? not worried about the e brake right this second. the rear end has all the hard lines still on it so my soft line to the rear end should be cool right?

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your master cylinder and prop valve provide residual pressure for drum brakes.

so you need a disc brake master cylinder and to gut the prop valve so the rear brakes don't drag.

parts needed to do it "right"
3-2 port conversion (I suggest MM)
93 cobra master cylinder + booster, or 94/95 mustang master cylinder + booster (you can buy them brand new from napa)
ford racing prop valve plug (replaces stock bolt on your prop valve when you remove the residual drum pressure valve)
and an adjustable brake prop valve for the rear lines, you install it at the firewall on passenger side in place of the coupler that's there now.

I think MM released a new kit that eliminates the prop valve too, might want to look into that instead of the 3-2 conversion + ford racing plug.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
86redGT
¯
Member # 6961

I have a 87 mustang SVO master cylinder and proportioning valve which works great, 93 cobra will also work as well as an aftermarket one

--------------------
2003 Mustang Cobra
2016 Fiesta ST

MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

ok cool so I guess for now im just going to grab the booster and m/c off a 94 gt and mess with the proportion vavle later. Think that will hold up for now?

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

exchp6400
¯
Member # 4803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for exchp6400  Ford pictures for exchp6400    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MikeD.:
ok cool so I guess for now im just going to grab the booster and m/c off a 94 gt and mess with the proportion vavle later. Think that will hold up for now?

just do it right the first time w/ blind lx's comments. i tried to do it the half ass way and ended up returning to do it the "right way" finally. Not running that proportioning valve, you run the risk of your rear brakes locking up on you when you need them [Eek!]

[ January 15, 2009, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: exchp6400 ]

--------------------
87 Buick Turbo T | 90 GT | 93 Typhoon

91LxStang
¯
Member # 8378

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91LxStang  Ford pictures for 91LxStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got the rear accessories needed off a sn95 if your going disc brakes in the rear.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com