Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Fucken mustang !! I might have a spun bearing ! help ..

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Fucken mustang !! I might have a spun bearing ! help ..
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lsxoo7  Ford pictures for lsxoo7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok ok this car is driving me craazy !!

just in case anyone remebers about a month back my 88 coupe started making some clanking/wierd noise,,

at first i tought it might have been a spun bearing .. but i had a few people say it was most likely a lifter or the rockers and maybe even a bent valve .

i just recently started working on it again . replaced the lifters pushrods and rockers . had the heads checked and nothing everything fine .But i bought new edelbroks heads anyways .

the only thing that i did find was a blown header gasket .

All new gaskets , heads , lifters, pushrods rockers , and alooot of time later the fucken noise is still there !! .. so now im sure its a spun bearing ...

can i be wrong its making the same exact noise as when it had the other combo . so im pissed . alot of money and time later and i could have been a spun bearing the whole time a cheap used block could have fixed my problem weekss ago..

any ideas ! Some one before i trown this thing in the trash .

WEST_BAY$_FINE$T_COUPE
¯
Member # 8169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WEST_BAY$_FINE$T_COUPE  Ford pictures for WEST_BAY$_FINE$T_COUPE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT DONT THROW IT GIVE IT 2 ME, I SAY IT THE BEARING IF NOT JUST DO WHAT YOU SHOUDLVE DONE GET A NEW BLOCK

--------------------
90COUPE
02SALEEN
90HTACKBACK (SOLD)
93 HATCHBACK (SOLD)

**I RIDE HYPHY SHIT**

4MY8TERS
¯
Member # 7840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4MY8TERS  Ford pictures for 4MY8TERS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check you flywheel, but does sound like a bearing

--------------------
1985 Notchback-393w Vortech
1991 Convert Lx-H/C/I-Vortech
1984 T-Top 306-H/C/I

Posts: 2337 | From: THE GOLDEN CITY AKA SFC | Registered: Aug 2007  |  :
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lsxoo7  Ford pictures for lsxoo7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the flywheel for what ? its making a taping noise . and another wierd noise ..

fucken thing makes noises everywere ! .. its coming from 1 side of the block ..

i can get it running but its still on the maf conversion "learn it self mode" so it has to run for a while to not run like shit ..

if i can figure it our im just run it till it blows or creates another noise or fixes it self lol . this thing is frustraiting the hell out of me and this isnt my main project .. so most of my money is stuck in my other cars and bike ..

i dunno i might just trow in another spare block and see what happends ..

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does the noise increase with the speed of the engine?

I had a buddy once who thought it killed the bottom end of his motor, turned out to be a bent index plate for the transmission. It was rubbing on the flywheel...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try grounding out the spark plug wire to each cylinder at a time and see if it goes away. if it stops then you a least have narrowed it down to 1 cylinder. thats if its a rod knock

[ November 03, 2008, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: Adam5.0 ]

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could be time for a rebuild [Frown] Do a compression check on the motor and see what you find.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

ill try all of these ideas tomorrow . ill try a compression check .. whats a good number to have on these engines ?

ill look around and see what else it could posibly be..

i havent driven the car yet since the top end re-build up so ill see whats going on with it tomorrow .

hopefully its sumthing minimal but with the luck ive had with this mustang its prob not ..

any other ideas ?.. its a wierd noise and a lil hard to explain .. ill see if i can get a video of it .. its hard to hear but i knw its there ...

8stang8
¯
Member # 8082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8stang8  Ford pictures for 8stang8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whether the eninge is new or worn/tired they must all be close to each other...

--------------------
Fox body coupe: 347, TKO, 3.73s, 9.93 @ 143

lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

man i think this car is gona have to sit for a bit .
the car wnt even stay arms and my stearing is all fucked up cause of the new subframe i put in ..

ill try a compression check and see whats up//

would it be esier to just re-ring it and put new bearing in it ?

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by lsxoo7:
man i think this car is gona have to sit for a bit .
the car wnt even stay arms and my stearing is all fucked up cause of the new subframe i put in ..

ill try a compression check and see whats up//

would it be esier to just re-ring it and put new bearing in it ?

might as well replace all of them

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check you oil persure with a gauge an see if it comes up to 60 psi at 1500 an stay there if it drops an stays real low bad bearings an comp test will only tell you if its low or not pull spark plug wires from each cly an if the noise goes away or quiter
ProjectFox87
¯
Member # 7048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ProjectFox87  Ford pictures for ProjectFox87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Honestly man, You can find cheap blocks all over the place, such as craigslist or here on the forums, if you can replace heads, you can swap out the block :] And if you have a little money, change the rod bearings, seals, rings, etc on the new block you get.

--------------------
1987 MUSTANG 5.0.Sold 1990 MX-5 Turbo MIATA Sold 1990 Mustang 5.0. Sold 1992 Turbo Miata Sold
1991 240sx Sold 1991 Miata Turbo,WILL Spank your 5.0 =]

Posts: 510 | From: WEST SACRAMENTO | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

yeah im actually torn that thing down completly bare block and out of the car 4 times now in the 2 months ive had i have put in about 70 miles on it since i brought it home .

its just its getting to be a pain and $ to replace every freaking gasket when i tear it apart . and the noise is there . and bothering the fuck out of me .

i might end up keeping the block and doing a 347 stroker .. and just getting a new block in it for the time being .

its about to be rainy season and the car has no heater , power stearing windshield wiper motors and is on slicks all the time ..

i might pick up a 20k miles 306 short block for cheap and see what happends ..

or maybe put in tat spare ls1 engine ive had sitting around .... fucked drama !

lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

oh yeah and i was planing on changing all of them and re ringing all the pistons as well as some honening ..
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
oh yeah and i was planing on changing all of them and re ringing all the pistons as well as some honening ..

buy the 306 block or just bore yours out and get engine assembly from d.s.s..maybe 331 or 347 [Big Grin]

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

ill see if that deal with the 306 gets done ..

whats the easiest way to get a 400+ci in these ponys ? stroked 351 ?

svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

yes sir. I have a bad ass 408 shortblock i'm lookin to unload. pm me if interested.

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
lsxoo7
¯
Member # 8587

picked up a new motor .. hopefully problem solved will keep everyone updated !
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

thats the only way to get 400ci small block is to use a 351 based motor. or get a 400+ big block.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com