Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Power Steering Pump Removal

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Power Steering Pump Removal
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sick91  Ford pictures for 1Sick91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is there a special way to remove the power steering pump or do i have to remove the radiator in order to remove it thanks here are some pics because it keeps hitting the fan shroud thanks a lot

-

-

-

[ October 16, 2008, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: 1Savage93 ]

Posts: 217 | From: Vacaville, Ca | Registered: May 2006  |  :
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take the stud out!

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Posts: 2860 | From: Richmond / Valley jo/ Petaluma | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sick91  Ford pictures for 1Sick91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
should i get a pipe wrench and pull it out????? or is there a special tool to pull it out???
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you still got the stud that gose thru the power sterring pump on there, just get some vice gripps and unscrew it out.

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

yea that's the bolt i couldn't get off should i use some wd-40 or something to help maybe loosen it because quite a few of the bolts were rusty.
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Yea that might work, get a good gripp on it and try to work it back and forth.

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

514 Mullet
¯
Member # 7402

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 514 Mullet  Ford pictures for 514 Mullet    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Would be pretty foolish to put a pipe wrench on the stud to remove it. Just take the shroud and fan out.

[ October 16, 2008, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: 514 Mullet ]

Posts: 215 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2007  |  :
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

it was just a guess. and the shroud wont come off unless you remove the radiator because the clutch fan is in the way
phat50
¯
Member # 1998

You can eather get some vice grips and remove the stud or you can do like he said and remove the fan and shroud. Unbolt the cluch fan then remove the shroud.

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

k thats what i will do tomorrow when i get home from work thanks a lot for the info
*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go to kragens and rent their removal tool for the pwr. steering pump. If you try to remove it any other way, ur gonna end up damaging ur pump [Big Grin]

--------------------
'00XlRangerSlammed-'91Gt347Turbo-'93CalypsoSCFaleen
FOXLIVESMATTER

----------------
*BlackGunsMatter*

Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

thanks for the help but i dont need the power steering pump im gonna buy a new/re manufactured one along with a new rack and pinion because they were leaking

[ October 16, 2008, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: 1Savage93 ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1Savage93:
it was just a guess. and the shroud wont come off unless you remove the radiator because the clutch fan is in the way

remove the bolts off the WP pulley and you can pull the fan, then the shroud.

[ October 16, 2008, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

okay ill do that thanks
josesiphone
¯
Member # 8693

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for josesiphone  Ford pictures for josesiphone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just did mine.

1st- Remove reservoir coolant tank. and then remove drive belt by getting a wrench and prying on the tensioner.

2nd. get a power steering pump removal tool to take the pulley out. Remove the pressure line and return line. Once the pullie is out there are 3 bolt holding the pump.

Remove the pump.

Get new pump install return line and then slight tighten the pressure line so it doesn't disconnect. Install 3 bolts and then. Install pullie by using ford pullie installer tool.

AFter pullie has been in stall but some type F ATF and spin the pullie by hand to circulate some of the fluid in there.

Install drive belt and tank. Don't cap reservoir from pump until you turn the rack left and right full turns to help with the bleeding.

cap and ready to go. Everything took me about 35 mins.

[ October 17, 2008, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: josesiphone ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com