Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 1993 Mustang Rack And Pinion

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 1993 Mustang Rack And Pinion
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sick91  Ford pictures for 1Sick91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i need to install a new rack and pinion on my 93 mustang because the passenger side is leaking fluid. whats the difference between the With sport steering and standard steering and the 2.25, 2.5 and 3.0 turns lock to lock??? how do i know which one i got on my car??? or which one i should get???? so far i got Eibach sport line springs and kyb shocks and struts if this makes a difference

thanks for your help

Posts: 217 | From: Vacaville, Ca | Registered: May 2006  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
more turns lock to lock = you have to turn the wheel more to turn the same amount.

less turns lock to lock = quicker steering and more feel through the wheel.

generally the "sport racks" aren't that good, I would personally look into getting a rack intended for a 2003/2004 mustang cobra, as they are better than the fox racks and the parts stores sell them...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sick91  Ford pictures for 1Sick91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
will this be a direct bolt on or do i have to modify it to make it fit??
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the only "modifying" is you use your stock foxbody inner ti-rod ends (they screw on like a pair of bolts).

other than that, bolt in.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

okay gotcha ill look into it
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

so should i get the standard steering instead of the sport steering??? thanks
TR1
98COBRA.COM
Member # 296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TR1  Ford pictures for TR1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I actually like the sport steering better. You will feel a change from stock if you go that route.

--------------------
Yep.

Posts: 1381 | From: Bay Area, CA. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

k thanks for your input ill go with the sport steering in the 2.5 lock to lock thanks again gonna do change it out this weekend with a new power steering pump and hoses
josesiphone
¯
Member # 8693

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for josesiphone  Ford pictures for josesiphone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually the lock really depend on what type of wheel your running on your cobra. IF you have stock 17x8 then you should get the 2.25 lock. If the wheel still rubs then get the rack limiter clips from ford. THey are about 3 bucks a piece and they will help with the rubbing by slightly limiting how much the steering rack extends. 87-89 mustangs came with a 2.5 lock because they only came with 15 inch ten hole wheels. But when ford went with the 16 inch ponies in the 90-93 mustang they need to limit the steering rack so it would not hit the lower control arm. I just did mine so I can walk you through it if you need help. Another thing I recommend is getting the maximum motorsport aluminum rack bushings. it's only like 40 bucks and man do they eliminate bumpsteer. Rubber and Urethane bushings can crack overtime.

[ October 17, 2008, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: josesiphone ]

1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

cool thank alot that help me ill start on the rack and pinion monday morning ill go take the power steering pump down to napa auto parts to have them swap out the pulley to the new power steering pump
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

i just went to napa auto parts and does the mustang gt have the standard or the performance???? and whats the difference thanks
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You could also get a Flaming River manual rack with a reduced steering option and eliminate the PS pump and heavy rack in one mod.

You would have to get another belt though..

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
You could also get a Flaming River manual rack with a reduced steering option and eliminate the PS pump and heavy rack in one mod.

You would have to get another belt though..

not worth it for a DD street car, I'm getting parts together to swap my flaming river manual rack out of my `89 actually.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

josesiphone
¯
Member # 8693

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for josesiphone  Ford pictures for josesiphone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
95's and up have a different designed rack and since they use a different spindle and steering geometry they come with a 2.25 lock but the wheel well is bigger than the fox body so you wont have a problem with rubbing.
josesiphone
¯
Member # 8693

Yeah a manual rack is only if your going for drag. frees up horse power but I wouldn't use if for street. The best one to get is actually an electric rack.
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

so should i go with the 2.5 or 3.0??? what was the stock lock to lock its just a standard gt hatchback
Cstang5.0
¯
Member # 4925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cstang5.0  Ford pictures for Cstang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i went with the 2.5 and it works fine [patriot]

--------------------
88 VERT slow sold
89 coupe stock ; )
02 yukon
05 focus

1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

k sounds good thanks
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

what is the best way to remove the rack and pinion??? so far i removed the tie end rods and removed the pressure line hose and the return line hose from the rack and pinon it looks like its bolted to the steering column so i loosened that bolt is there anything i am missing to remove it??? thanks
josesiphone
¯
Member # 8693

there is a bolt in the steering shaft and then bolts in from the rack support (2). When installing the pressure line don't forget the Teflon tape for the threads. Use ATF type f only. 2 quarts.
1Sick91
¯
Member # 6776

k got all that installed now is there anything else i need to do before i start it up??? brand new power steering pump, hoses and rack and pinon just bolted everything back up wheels back on and the serpentine belt and i spun the power steering pulley a few times to get fluid going through the lines and went lock to lock like 20-25 times. can i start it and let it run and just keep going lock to lock with the wheels off the ground still go get it flowing some more??? thanks

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com