Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Subwoofer help...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Subwoofer help...
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the sub in my Explorer is blown and i want to replace it. Its the stock stereo system for a 96 Eddie Bauer edition.
Should i get a sub with voice coils or without? whats the difference between 2 ohm and 4 ohm?
whats a good company for a subwoofer?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

ugotsmoked
¯
Member # 6069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugotsmoked  Ford pictures for ugotsmoked    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all subs have voice coils. either 1 or 2. In your case grab a jl w0 single voice coil 4 ohm sub, to replace the one that is on the passenger side compartment. have fun removing the entire panel in the rear. Its a straight foward replacment. do not try and put a bigger sub in thinking its gonna hit harder. that is definatly not the case. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Fully built and blown - RIP
'00 C5 Frc - Cammed and tuned - sold
66 Nova - Restored - 6.0 In the works

Posts: 1585 | From: Rocklin, Ca. | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ugotsmoked:
all subs have voice coils. either 1 or 2. In your case grab a jl w0 single voice coil 4 ohm sub, to replace the one that is on the passenger side compartment. have fun removing the entire panel in the rear. Its a straight foward replacment. do not try and put a bigger sub in thinking its gonna hit harder. that is definatly not the case. [patriot]

i am not a hit harder person anymore, but right now i have to turn the bass almost all the way off for the sound to not annoy the shit out of me. The stock sub just seems to vibrate the panel instead of making bass. I just want a stock replacement that won't sound like crap.

[ September 30, 2008, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: 532Fastback ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

crutchfield doesn't have a jl w0.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

4MY8TERS
¯
Member # 7840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4MY8TERS  Ford pictures for 4MY8TERS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a

10" kicker comp sub for $60 2007 edition
10" kicker cvr sub for $100
10" baja sub for $25

--------------------
1985 Notchback-393w Vortech
1991 Convert Lx-H/C/I-Vortech
1984 T-Top 306-H/C/I

Posts: 2337 | From: THE GOLDEN CITY AKA SFC | Registered: Aug 2007  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by 1991 SSP COUPE 331 TWIN TURBO:
I have a

10" baja sub for $25

thats cool but the sub i am replacing is either a 6 inch or a 8 inch.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 532Fastback:
quote:
Originally posted by 1991 SSP COUPE 331 TWIN TURBO:
I have a

10" baja sub for $25

thats cool but the sub i am replacing is either a 6 inch or a 8 inch.
My friend's 97 explorer had an 8 inch sub if memory serves me correct.

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
since you're using the stock system, you should check to see what input impedance the amp is rated for. running a lower impedance sub could overload your factory amp. basically, run a sub that is matched to your factory amp in impedance and also rms rating. underpowering a sub with a weak amp will adversely affect the audio performance and the same can be said about overpowering a sub, which can blow out your speaker, but in your case i highly doubt the factory amp can source that much juice anyways.

dual voice coils allows the flexibility of wiring which becomes important when running multiple subs. if you're only looking to run a single sub, the DVC wont be as critical. keep it simple and run one..we're talking about a factory replacement here.

[ September 30, 2008, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

fr5.0
¯
Member # 8652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fr5.0  Ford pictures for fr5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
since you're using the stock system, you should check to see what input impedance the amp is rated for. running a lower impedance sub could overload your factory amp. basically, run a sub that is matched to your factory amp in impedance and also rms rating. underpowering a sub with a weak amp will adversely affect the audio performance and the same can be said about overpowering a sub, which can blow out your speaker, but in your case i highly doubt the factory amp can source that much juice anyways.

dual voice coils allows the flexibility of wiring which becomes important when running multiple subs. if you're only looking to run a single sub, the DVC wont be as critical. keep it simple and run one..we're talking about a factory replacement here.

What!!!!!!??????? [BS flag] actually dvc was created so that a mono block amp can preform to the best of its ability. Dont shop for anything special just get the cheapest 8" sub you can find, anythings better than the stock one in an exploder.

--------------------
MAGA
TRUMP TRAIN!!!!

Posts: 2913 | From: sacramento | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so tell me how do u define "perform to the best of its ability" if you think bs that dvc's allow for wiring flexibility in other words, flexibility to wire in parallel, series etc which effectively changes impedance and max power out of your amp? ohms law my friend..
josesiphone
¯
Member # 8693

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for josesiphone  Ford pictures for josesiphone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your stock sub is an 8 inch and it's rated at 8 ohms. If you get an 4 ohm speaker your gonna overload your amp and cause more problems.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com