Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » DIS system on a 5.0?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: DIS system on a 5.0?
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm interested in running a distributorless ignition system on my 5.0, as I just purchased an oddball intake which does not allow for the use of a distributor in the stock location. What is the consensus from those who have USED or have EXPERIENCE with a crank trigger/coil packs/coil on plug ignition on a 5.0?

I realize that the performance gain per dollar may not be a favorable ratio, but I'm curious as to what this swap will take and what I can expect to spend.

Thanks for the input.

8stang8
¯
Member # 8082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8stang8  Ford pictures for 8stang8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What intake for a 302 is it that you cant run a dizzy???
Seems like you got some homework and a couple buks to spend in making a sbf dizzy-less.
Its been done though as ive seen it in a muscle mustang magazine.
Good luck bro post up pics when its completed [Eek!]

--------------------
Fox body coupe: 347, TKO, 3.73s, 9.93 @ 143

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You also need to figure out how to spin the oil pump.
Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, what manifold did you buy for a SBF that won't allow a distributor to fit? Can you maybe run an offset distributor like this?

http://www.swartzracingmanifolds.com/distributors/index.htm

-

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a BXR intake that was offered by a very small company in the late 90's. It is very wide (24") and it covers the distributor hole so as to not allow a standard distributor. It will make good power, but I'm interested in running it more for shock value and uniqueness than for all out power. This thing under the hood will turn some heads. It is definitely a conversation starter.
gtowned
¯
Member # 8156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtowned  Ford pictures for gtowned    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this???

-

--------------------
Taking terminators off the road one at a time...

Posts: 1106 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The distributor were accessory driven on these set-ups (see distributor off the A/C pump)
I have one of these intakes as well but have not placed it on anything yet.
Heavy intakes !!! But definately neat looking

My 97 uses a DIS setup w/EEC-V, I will more than likely go this same route when this ends up in {to be determined}

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u must tell me where u got that intake [worship]

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Can you believe I bought it at Griggs Racing with the rails, fuel injector tubes and the high rpm plenums for $250? You can't even buy a belly button Cobra intake for that!

The accessory distributor is a no go though. That looks whack. Maybe an AEM system with the cam sensor in the distributor hole to drive the oil pump and trigger the coils/coil packs. It will not be cheap but it will be trick.

Pardon me now while I go and start putting the car back together. I'm a long way away from dropping in a motor.

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by phildog:
Can you believe I bought it at Griggs Racing with the rails, fuel injector tubes and the high rpm plenums for $250? You can't even buy a belly button Cobra intake for that!

The accessory distributor is a no go though. That looks whack. Maybe an AEM system with the cam sensor in the distributor hole to drive the oil pump and trigger the coils/coil packs. It will not be cheap but it will be trick.

Pardon me now while I go and start putting the car back together. I'm a long way away from dropping in a motor.

wow [Eek!]

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that is a bad ass intake!

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by phildog:

The intake was so cheap because it's going to cost you $1000 for an ignition system. [Eek!] BBK's new SSI intake was based on the BXR, and I believe actually outflows it. If you need a DIS system, look at Electromotive. I know a couple of people who ran these with good success on Neon motors. http://www.racetep.com/hpx.htm

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
phildog
¯
Member # 1214

I realized after I bought the BXR that it was going to take some help from the aftermarket, as well as my bank account, to make it run.

On one hand, running a BXR and an aftermarket EFI would be pretty badass, as I have never seen a similar setup in the flesh.

On the other hand, I can make waaaaay more power with a stroked 351w based motor (which my BXR will not fit) and run a totally stock ECU and still be pretty sick.

Decisions... decisions...

DaveG
¯
Member # 1606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaveG  Ford pictures for DaveG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're willing to spend more $$$$ contact Joe at Chicane.

http://chicanesport.com/

Here's his ride featuring DIS.
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0603_1987_gt_chicane_sport_tuning_joe_gosinski/index.html

[ September 23, 2008, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: DaveG ]

--------------------
DaveG
96-0029 S-351
Supercharged Speedster
613rwhp, 633rwtq

MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Insert BXR here :-)
 -

Our 97 has been running DIS since 01 and STILL runnin strong

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

So you are running an exploder motor in your Mustang. Did you keep the 4 wd too? JK. What did that swap take electronically?
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Yep, Exploder w/17,011K miles
It is being ran by a 4.6 computer (EEC-V) and custom engine harness
I am already working on a DIS 351 set-up with COP's for our 82 w/351,T56 Viper spec/9" rear.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

I love a unique combo like that. Definitely going to be ANOTHER head turner in your garage.

My tune is a bit different now than two weeks ago when I bought the BXR. With the my job on the rocks, the BXR might make its way to the FOR SALE section.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com