Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need help on my 66 mustang

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help on my 66 mustang
66coupe
¯
Member # 8549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66coupe  Ford pictures for 66coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On my 1966 mustang i have a battery isolator that cuts off the battery from the rest car when its off and keeps the battery runnin at 12.7 volts when it running. when i turn the isolator switch my tach's pointer goes in reverse direction instead of staying at 0. when i turn the ignition key it will only click the first time, but if i do it a second time it will turn off the isolator as if theres a short but it doesnt blow a fuse... so i hooked up the battery to a charger and it said it was in the poor area. so i charge it for about 5 hours and it still wont start.
I just got some heddman longtubes and a friend said the starter might be overheating... but why would the battery be poor???

Please this is my daily driver and i need help.

306MAVERICK
¯
Member # 7831

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 306MAVERICK  Ford pictures for 306MAVERICK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you sure its an isolater and not a circuit breaker?You shouldnt need an isolater on that car,try running the battery cable straight to the battery instead of through the isolater and see what happens. It sounds like the isolater is the problem but you shouldnt need it anyway.If the fusible links are connected onto the isolater you will have to putem back onto the starter relay.Headers do make the starter get VERY hot,starter could be overloading,wouldnt hurt to snatch it off and get it checked at your local parts store. Just my 2 cents,maybe somebody else will post somethin that will help you more,goodluck [patriot]

[ September 09, 2008, 03:12 AM: Message edited by: 306MAVERICK ]

--------------------
74 Maverick-12.70@105mph 1.8860 ft(rear suspension mods awaiting installation)
64 Falcon-Fuel Injected 5.0(project)
RICHMOND MUSCLE CAR CLUB

66coupe
¯
Member # 8549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66coupe  Ford pictures for 66coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya its an isolator because before we were having short roblems and didnt know where it came from so last night i took ouit the radio and im going to go get my battery tested because i think the combo of a short (hopefully my radio) and the starter overheating and me trying repeatedly just drained my battery down beyond repair... But please i need some more help! Any input what so ever will help!! [patriot]
66coupe
¯
Member # 8549

oh and thanks! ps nice mavi [burnout]

[ September 10, 2008, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: mustang racing66 ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com