Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HOW TO REMOVE IGNITION TUMBLER?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HOW TO REMOVE IGNITION TUMBLER?
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1987 mustang 5.0 lx...i lost my only ignition key so either ima have to pay to get one made or just get a whole new tumbler with 2 kews from kragen..so anyone know how to remove it without having the key?

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ttt

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

7-Up Man
¯
Member # 8345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7-Up Man  Ford pictures for 7-Up Man    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need to take a lesson from a car thief. You will need to get a slide hammer and screw it into the key slot. Then a couple of sharp bangs on the slider should pop it right off. Should not damage any internal components as professionals would then insert their own tumbler with keys and start it right up.

[ August 14, 2008, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: 7-Up Man ]

--------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green

Posts: 93 | From: Walnut Creek | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

iight thanks

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL!!! you have to remove the plastic cowling. I forget exactly where...
found the procedures

Steps to remove and replace the lock cylinder

To Remove the Lock Cylinder
1: Remove the cover UPPER/LOWER) from the steering column(usually 2 phillips screws in lower cover, directly behind the steering wheel.

2: Turn the key to the run position (the position before start).

3: Using a small diameter object (paper clip) slide the wire into the hole located underneath the ignition switch on the underside of the column. While pushing up on the pin in the hole, turn the key and pull outward. The tumbler should release and come out.

4: To replace, turn the key in the new cylinder to run.

6: Place the cylinder in the column where the old one came out.

7: Turn the key to the off position and the cylinder is now locked in place.

[ August 15, 2008, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: hard jokur ]

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
8stang8
¯
Member # 8082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8stang8  Ford pictures for 8stang8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also need tamper proof allen bits w/ hole drilled in the center.

--------------------
Fox body coupe: 347, TKO, 3.73s, 9.93 @ 143

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
without the key he wont be able to put the ignition to the on pos. so that means no access to the tiny hold on the bottom.

You'll need to drill that shit out.

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

i ended up finding my key 2day..it ended up bein in the car the whole time...lol

--------------------

2000 camaro ss cam only

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com