Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What does pinging sound like?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What does pinging sound like?
kast1376
¯
Member # 8499

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kast1376  Ford pictures for kast1376    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, I know it is a stupid question, but I really do not know. I have checked youtube to see if what they show as pinging is matching the sound my car is making about 3.5k at WOT, and it is not.

What is happening:

Any gear, at WOT my motor gets really "mechanical" sounding. (lousy description, I know) It has been pretty hot lately, and I wonder if this is just normal valve train noise, of if I am indeed pinging. I use 87 Shell in the car (04 GT) all the time, and I am going to be putting in a tank of 92 tomorrow morning to see if it stops.

if anybody has a good description or a video of a mustang pinging that would be great.

Thanks.

Posts: 189 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like pinging to me. Do you have your timing advanced? Try putting 91 octane in your tank and see if it goes away.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
kast1376
¯
Member # 8499

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kast1376  Ford pictures for kast1376    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car is stock with the exception of a K&N filter, a bassani catted x and some SLP LM1s.

I am gonna stick in some 91 tomorrow morning and see what happens. I am also gonna romp on it while it is still cool out and see what the deal is.

SHORTSHIFTER89
¯
Member # 7810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHORTSHIFTER89  Ford pictures for SHORTSHIFTER89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just like 92stanglx said timeing bad gas 87 will do it to you everytime bump your timeing up to 13-14 and go to 91. and you will luv the way you car pulls. [patriot]

--------------------
1989 Mustang 5.0 HCI NOW SUPERCHARGED
2013 Range Rover Sport
2011 Bmw 5501 twin turbo 530HP
1998 silverado c1500 cheyenne

Posts: 923 | From: 707 hillside | Registered: Jul 2007  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shell is some of the worst fuel you can use. Stick with mid grade or higher Chevron, Texaco, 76..........

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

SHORTSHIFTER89
¯
Member # 7810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHORTSHIFTER89  Ford pictures for SHORTSHIFTER89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
me myself 91 cheveron and 91 76gas station. put some in today as well. i dont use anything else even if im down to my last $5bucks [Big Grin]

valero and shell are the same type of gas

--------------------
1989 Mustang 5.0 HCI NOW SUPERCHARGED
2013 Range Rover Sport
2011 Bmw 5501 twin turbo 530HP
1998 silverado c1500 cheyenne

Posts: 923 | From: 707 hillside | Registered: Jul 2007  |  :
7-Up Man
¯
Member # 8345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7-Up Man  Ford pictures for 7-Up Man    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Best way to describe a pinging sound would be to take as many marbles as you can loosely fit in your hand and shake them like your life depends on it. now that sound multiplied by 8 (cyl) should sound close.

--------------------
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." -Red Green

Posts: 93 | From: Walnut Creek | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
to me it sounds like marbles in a coffee can.
lol.
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
Shell is some of the worst fuel you can use. Stick with mid grade or higher Chevron, Texaco, 76..........

consumer reports....

shell and 76 is the best gas to run, it burns the cleanest and most complete. they both contain Ethanyol as an oxygenate rather than MTBE like Chevron and other cheaper fuels. MTBE is man made like octane boosters, and leaves a gummy residue when its burns.

[ August 13, 2008, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: RED@7kVERT *8850GT* ]

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

89goose
¯
Member # 7196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89goose  Ford pictures for 89goose        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah dont use the lowest grade gas - it happened to me - i just wanted to try and see if anything happens when i use 87 - so it has to be 89 or 91. itried to see if there was anydifference when using 91 vs. 89 and it doesnt seem to me there was a difference. so i just stick to 89.
try to use a fuel treatment every once in awile.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89goose:
yeah dont use the lowest grade gas - it happened to me - i just wanted to try and see if anything happens when i use 87 - so it has to be 89 or 91. itried to see if there was anydifference when using 91 vs. 89 and it doesnt seem to me there was a difference. so i just stick to 89.

?

my 89 made the dyno #'s in my sig with 87, has never pinged.

if the car is running right and not in need of maint, mustangs were designed to run on 87 and don't need anything more unless you really bump the timing or change the compression.

I run 91 in my 97, but afaik only the 4v's or any car with a power adder require 91.

to the OP, I would suggest replacing the fuel filter, and checking/replacing the plugs, when were the front o2's last replaced?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Cobraboy
¯
Member # 7826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobraboy  Ford pictures for Cobraboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:
to me it sounds like marbles in a coffee can.
lol.
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:

consumer reports....

shell and 76 is the best gas to run, it burns the cleanest and most complete. they both contain Ethanyol as an oxygenate rather than MTBE like Chevron and other cheaper fuels. MTBE is man made like octane boosters, and leaves a gummy residue when its burns.

Hmm.. very interesting.. i didn't know that... i have always used chevron.

I think MTBE is used because it is a better oxygenate than Ethanol, though. It has better mixing qualities.

Posts: 552 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  :
89goose
¯
Member # 7196

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89goose  Ford pictures for 89goose        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:
Originally posted by 89goose:

?

my 89 made the dyno #'s in my sig with 87, has never pinged.

if the car is running right and not in need of maint, mustangs were designed to run on 87 and don't need anything more unless you really bump the timing or change the compression.

I run 91 in my 97, but afaik only the 4v's or any car with a power adder require 91.

to the OP, I would suggest replacing the fuel filter, and checking/replacing the plugs, when were the front o2's last replaced?

right on .... [patriot]
i replaced everything that you said at that time- still the same...?? dunno why ?
maybe because my motor is out of a 95 cobra?

but good info non the less [patriot]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what's your base timing set at? How about the fuel pressure?

95 cobra's use 87

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stop using Shell and upgrade fuel. Even if you only go up to 89 octane and your tank is on the E it's a whopping $1.50 more.

$1.50 per tank > new motor

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

89goose
¯
Member # 7196

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
what's your base timing set at? How about the fuel pressure?

95 cobra's use 87

i never did the timing -lost my gun -have to buy a new one -hehe ....
fuel pressure reg is stock [patriot]

kast1376
¯
Member # 8499

OP poster here.

I filled up today with 91 Chevron. Same thing. Ping Ping Ping....

The O2 sensors are all the originals. I have never had my SES light come on (I assume this would come on if anything was throwing a code?)

I just got home, and I am taking it to the shop in about a half hour then hoofin it home.

Hopefully this will not be an expensive fix. I am assuming that it is gonna cost me an arm and a leg, because I honestly have no idea exactly how bad it could be. What could I possibly be looking at? FWIW my engine does not burn or leak any oil, and my coolant is filled, with no mixing of the two evident.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com