Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Thoughts on this combo, advice?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Thoughts on this combo, advice?
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey90GT  Ford pictures for Casey90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 90,000 mile stock 94 shortblock that has been running really strong and is the basis of this build. My primary concern is splitting the stock block, so I am shooting for a goal of 400 rwhp, hoping that if I stay around this number I won't have too many issues.

I am debating between running AFR185's or Edelbrock Performers, and while that probably doesn't seem like much of a debate to a lot of folks, I'm thinking that the AFR's will make so much more power that it will put me in that block splitting zone.

I am running a Comp cams custom grind, 230/236 dur. @ .050, .513/.526 lift with a 1.6 rocker.

I am running an Edelbrock Performer RPM II intake with 70mm throttle body and spacer. I am running Edelbrock 1-5/8 inch equal length shorty headers, UPR offroad x-pipe, and Spintech cat-back.

Finally, I am topping this build off with a Paxton Novi-1220 supercharger pullied for 10 psi with a power pipe. I am running 60 lb. injectors 255 lph high pressure Walbro, and an SCT "Big Air" mass air meter with an off the shelf tune by Bob Kurgan on an SCT chip. I am also running an AEM wideband 02 so that I can monitor the mixture and help dial in my Kurgan tune.

So what do you guys think...which heads should I run, what do you think she'll put down?

[ July 14, 2008, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Casey90GT ]

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

Posts: 1064 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
man you better be putting out more than 400 with that charger and heads combo. My guess with the afr's and 10 psi 460ish

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with that cam, I would run AFR 165's or 185's,,I personally like 165's for a DD car...you'll be hovering around the 410-430Rw mark

before I parted my vert I had a Vortech @ 9psi, Edelbrock RPM heads, an E-cam, and Systemax intake, 36 lb injectors and put down 416RW HP with a great tune on a Tweecer RT....

I would run meth injection as well...

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont u have a brand new 331w/x heads u could be running?

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey90GT  Ford pictures for Casey90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I do, but it's 9.8:1 and I already have the blower and the tune, big injectors, big mass air, etc. If I put the 331 and the blower together, I would have a detonating block splitting monster, right?

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

FORD POWER
¯
Member # 7860

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FORD POWER  Ford pictures for FORD POWER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Casey90GT:
I do, but it's 9.8:1 and I already have the blower and the tune, big injectors, big mass air, etc. If I put the 331 and the blower together, I would have a detonating block splitting monster, right?

Use the 331 and 8psi with a good tune and you should be ok. I've read about it b4 with results around 430ish rwhp. Good luck.

--------------------
Car 4Sale

Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

By the way Ford Power...I got your money order yesterday and your tach is going out today.

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

No...not at all...a good tune and good gas, some meth injection, you'll be fine...you'll be able to run less boost and still make the HP you want...

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id go with some non equal lengths.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Casey90GT
¯
Member # 6175

If I go with the AFR or Edelbrock head on the 331 it will drop it down to 9.5:1. Do you guys really think I'll be ok with that much compression and boost. Anybody running anything similar real world?

--------------------
Some day I'll finish it.

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Run a thicker header gasket, cometics .060, to help drop compression, and run what you have with some meth.
Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
If I go with the AFR or Edelbrock head on the 331 it will drop it down to 9.5:1. Do you guys really think I'll be ok with that much compression and boost. Anybody running anything similar real world?

There are alot of folks running boost plus over 9 to one compression. Ask around on turbomustangs.com

Also, look into meth injection you might be happy with that.

I said go with non equal length headers because the equal lengths are a pain in the ass.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
FORD POWER
¯
Member # 7860

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FORD POWER  Ford pictures for FORD POWER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Casey90GT:
[qb] If I go with the AFR or Edelbrock head on the 331 it will drop it down to 9.5:1. Do you guys really think I'll be ok with that much compression and boost. Anybody running anything similar real world?

With 9.5 comp. add an inline vortech fuel pump and you can do 10psi w/ a power pipe on 91 octane no problem. I ran a bonestock motor w/ a S-trim 12psi, 30lb injectors, inline fuel pump, fuel pressure reg on 92 octane 76 gas. no detonation. Car ran hard. on street Nitto 555 tires I ran a 12.9 quarter mile. Good Luck.

[ July 15, 2008, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: FORD POWER ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com