Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Electric fan problem!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Electric fan problem!
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I bought this fan and installed it and for some reason my temp gauge is higher now than it was with the stock fan, With the stock fan it was a little under the middle line even on the hottest days but now it goes over 3/4 to the end of my gause with this fan within 30 minutes!, I have it turned down to the lowest setting and it still does the same thing. It goes up the fastest if I am speeding. I have taken it out and installed the stock one and it is fine but for some reason when I put this new electric fan in it does the same shit! This thing is suppose to move 3300 cfm.

HAs anyone ever had this problem? Does anyone think maybe i should change the gauge or thermostat? I am starting to run out of ideas. This is the fan I got http://www.brothersperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/3681 I doubt it's the radiator since it is only 1 years old and the gauge seems fine with the stock fan.

[ June 26, 2008, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: East Bay 50 ]

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you made sure that the fan is "pulling" the air in not "pushing"

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the stock clutch fan is the best for cooling, ecspecially in the summer time i think. but you could try puttin a 160 in, i run a turas fan with a 180 in it and have no problems, also look into getting an aftermarket gauge, the stock guages aren't really accurate. on my car the stock gauge fluxuated between the 1/3 and 1/2 but the auto meter guage stays at 180.

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

Curt
¯
Member # 6254

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curt  Ford pictures for Curt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that fan looks like it can only be installed the correct way.

Are you certain that it is set to come on at the lowest possible temp and not the highest? Mine was unmarked and the first time I installed it it never came on, turns out I had set it incorrectly.

Start the car and watch for when the fan kicks on, then note where the temp gauge is.

Also, make sure that the probe is set in the correct spot.

Good Luck,
Curt

--------------------
'90 GT
'94 Toyota 4wd "It have problem"
'56 F100 5.8 AFR185's Vortech SC S-trim

Posts: 866 | From: Monterey/Rocklin | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The fan control supports the use of a manual switch. EIther hot wire the fan so it's always on or add a switch as listed in the directions then drive the car around. If the water temp stays cool, the fan's temperature control is set too high (too hot) or the temperature probe is not in a good location or the temperature probe is not making a good thermal connection to the radiator.

Remove the hot wire or switch after you get it running properly.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
8stang8
¯
Member # 8082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8stang8  Ford pictures for 8stang8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dam that sucks dude. I orderd that same fan about a week ago & am about to install it today. I hope it does what the propaganda shit on the box says lol. Either way keep us posted if it works out for your ride. [Confused]

--------------------
Fox body coupe: 347, TKO, 3.73s, 9.93 @ 143

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think I will change out to an autometer gauge tommorow and see what happens. Hopefully that is the only problem. I just cant see how a stock fan can possibly cool better than an electric one than moves 3300 cfm [Frown]

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what kind of alternator do you have?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
8stang8
¯
Member # 8082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8stang8  Ford pictures for 8stang8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude, I jus installed that same fan bout 2 hours ago . . . That fan BLOWS some air! [Smile] In front & behind the radiator it is moving LOTS of air . I know its not as reliable as the good ol fan but I wanted a electric fan simply to keep cooling once the enginge was shut down (track).

Change the gauge get an auto meter.

Make sure your temp probe is installed in the correct location. Engine to radiator inlet.

Use the correct gauge wire provided in the kit if you locate the control module away from the fan housing.

Theres not much else . . . Other than make sure your charging system is up to the task it should keep your engine cool.

Hope its just the gauge [patriot]

[ June 27, 2008, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: 8stang8 ]

--------------------
Fox body coupe: 347, TKO, 3.73s, 9.93 @ 143

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
what kind of alternator do you have?

I think it is like a 130 or something. i installed it a couple years back.

--------------------

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

quote:
Originally posted by 8stang8:
Dude, I jus installed that same fan bout 2 hours ago . . . That fan BLOWS some air! [Smile] In front & behind the radiator it is moving LOTS of air . I know its not as reliable as the good ol fan but I wanted a electric fan simply to keep cooling once the enginge was shut down (track).

Change the gauge get an auto meter.

Make sure your temp probe is installed in the correct location. Engine to radiator inlet.

Use the correct gauge wire provided in the kit if you locate the control module away from the fan housing.

Theres not much else . . . Other than make sure your charging system is up to the task it should keep your engine cool.

Hope its just the gauge [patriot]

I will be installing a temp gauge next week so we will see how it goes.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com