Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Getting a Vibration @ startup, and out of 1st gear

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting a Vibration @ startup, and out of 1st gear
Wings65288
¯
Member # 5901

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wings65288  Ford pictures for Wings65288  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey guys... i'm getting a vibration SOMETIMES at start-up and when i drive out of first gear (only when i'm disengaging the clutch and just starting out). it's coming from the rear from what i can feel/hear. any ideas to what this is? the rear-end is not leaking and it just got the fluid changed. i'm completely lost to what this is. it's really bugging me thats all i know :shrug:

i've already torqued the axle nuts down to 250#'s also...

--------------------
2003 Zinc Yellow Cobra 1/4: 11.90 @ 117.22

Posts: 140 | From: Santa Rosa, CA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
gtowned
¯
Member # 8156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtowned  Ford pictures for gtowned    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you said in another topic you just got done changing your pinion seal.did you index your drive shaft.i also sent you a pm if it might be something else

--------------------
Taking terminators off the road one at a time...

Posts: 1106 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
Wings65288
¯
Member # 5901

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wings65288  Ford pictures for Wings65288  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by gtowned:
you said in another topic you just got done changing your pinion seal.did you index your drive shaft.i also sent you a pm if it might be something else

no i didn't index it. how would i go about doing that? also, it was doing this noise before i changed the pinion seal... i changed the pinion seal because it was leaking gear oil

--------------------

Wings65288
¯
Member # 5901

someone suggested on another forum it could be clutch chatter

--------------------

Bronco Man
¯
Member # 8401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bronco Man  Ford pictures for Bronco Man  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You said you torqued the lug nuts to 250ftlbs.? If so thats way to much, the most I've ever seen on a street car is 120ftlbs. and that was for trucks. You may run into some problems later on down the road. When the lug nut is torqued you are actually stretching the threads and that friction is what holds the wheel on. I've seen people over torque and had them break off especialy on 4x4's, the torque created by the wheels digging in just snapps them off, then your srewed.

--------------------
Hillars4xLube.com
Contact me anytime for questions... 510-857-7282

Wings65288
¯
Member # 5901

no the axle nuts are torqued to 250#'s... the lug nuts are like at 96#'s

--------------------

Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wings65288:
someone suggested on another forum it could be clutch chatter

That's what I would say
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
gtowned
¯
Member # 8156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtowned  Ford pictures for gtowned    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
were you able to open the file i sent you

--------------------
Taking terminators off the road one at a time...

Posts: 1106 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
Wings65288
¯
Member # 5901

yeah thats what i think it is... makes sense too. what gets rid of clutch chatter? a input shaft/clutch?

--------------------

Wings65288
¯
Member # 5901

hey thanks for sending that dude, i haven't been able to yet. i have adobe acrobat on my other comp. thanks again
quote:
Originally posted by gtowned:
were you able to open the file i sent you

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com