Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Assembling engine - won't turn over

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Assembling engine - won't turn over
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got my block, rods, pistons and crank back from the shop today, got the crank turned 10 over and the bores 30 over. I put the first 4 pistons in, crank rotated just fine. I put the 5th one in (first on the driver side), and the crank gets really really hard to turn. Now that I have 7 in, it won't turn at all. Is it supposed to be this difficult to turn over? I have a breaker bar on the crank bolt, and it still won't budge and I'm afraid the bolt will break or something.

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going to have to say no, it should not be that hard. Now keep in mind I'm not an engine builder or anything, but I have never encountered a motor where I couldn't even turn it with a breaker bar.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Disassemble it back to the piston you put in that made it difficult to turn over. If it takes more than about 16lbs/ft to turn over with fresh rings in the shortblock then something is definitely wrong.

Verify you have all the same bearing sizes. Did you have the rods checked at the machine shop?

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
make sure your main caps are all the right way!Did u get a line hone?

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you gap the rings?rod caps mixed up [Confused]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
turns out I put the snaps rings that were included with the pistons on, and that was causing the problem. I removed them and it rotates now

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what? that makes no sense. did you have the rods installed backwards on the other side? or both? ford tangs point towards the cam, not towards the pan rail.

edit: unless you have pressed on pins, then it makes sense

[ June 01, 2008, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: kingmoochr ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com