Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » need to replace valve springs...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need to replace valve springs...
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so I was cleaning up these Edelbrock Performer RPM heads I bought, and replacing the broken washers that reduce the head bolt size from 1/2 to 7/16, and when i was flipping one over I head something kinda rattle on it. Upon further inspection I found that two of the inner springs were broken, one was broken into 3 pieces. There are no indications of brand, type or anything on these. On Summit they have instructions for the head, it lists the following;

Valve Spring Diameter: 1.45"
Valve Spring Installed Height: 1.800"
Valve Spring Seat Pressure: 110-120 lbs.

For the cam I bought, it lists a couple different springs as "Suggested Parts."

One of them is part 987-16;
Outside Diameter of Outer Spring: 1.430"
Installed Height: 1.800"
Seat Pressure at Installed Height: 121 lbs.
Open Height: 1.200"
Open Pressure: 343 lbs.

The other, 986-16 has an installed height of 1.750.

Would the 987 spring work? Also, one of the spring seats was kinda screwed up, it's a silver colored, thin washer kinda thing and it got bent up by the broken spring. What would I use to replace this? A shim? Or is it something else? I noticed, on the other valve, there was that silver shim looking thing that said THIS SIDE UP on it, and a copper colored shim underneath. I can't remember which was which but one of the broken springs was an intake valve and the other was an exhaust. Would that explain why one of them had the copper shim and the other didn't?

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Bronco Man
¯
Member # 8401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bronco Man  Ford pictures for Bronco Man  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Give Angie a call at Dave's engine machining in Newark. She will have all the answers. Just rebuilt the engine in my 77 Bronco and she did a great job. I had the same problem thats why I lost the engine, wrong springs, inners started throwing pieces off and pluged oil holes back to sump. Their the World Comp. Rousch windsor Jr. heads 180cc runners, found out they put on very weak chevy springs and just shipped them, got them from Summit. Never order pre built heads without getting them checked out, actually you'll save money getting them bare. You wont know what the final dimensions are till all facors a calculated.

--------------------
Hillars4xLube.com
Contact me anytime for questions... 510-857-7282

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Bronco Man:
Give Angie a call at Dave's engine machining in Newark. She will have all the answers. Just rebuilt the engine in my 77 Bronco and she did a great job. I had the same problem thats why I lost the engine, wrong springs, inners started throwing pieces off and pluged oil holes back to sump. Their the World Comp. Rousch windsor Jr. heads 180cc runners, found out they put on very weak chevy springs and just shipped them, got them from Summit. Never order pre built heads without getting them checked out, actually you'll save money getting them bare. You wont know what the final dimensions are till all facors a calculated.

I didn't order them, I bought em off somebody on here

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
Bronco Man
¯
Member # 8401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bronco Man  Ford pictures for Bronco Man  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MAY BE TO LIGHT A SPRING OR WORE OUT THOSE SPRINGS DO SOME CRAZY STUFF UNDER PERFORMANCE OPPERATION. LIKE I SAID GIVE ANGIE A CALL SHE'S THE BEST.

--------------------
Hillars4xLube.com
Contact me anytime for questions... 510-857-7282

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com