Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » carb motor in 88 mustang with fuel pump in tank ??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: carb motor in 88 mustang with fuel pump in tank ??
SSF 50
¯
Member # 7219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSF 50  Ford pictures for SSF 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
goin to put a carb motor in my 88 to see how this motor runs but not sure how the fuel pump will work out. think that hooking up the feed to the carb but what about the return. someone said to run a T off the feed and put on the return.

[ May 25, 2008, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: SSF 50 ]

--------------------
Never Ending List of 50z!!

"BAY AREA STUNNAZ"
Dude that 5.0 is not a 5.0 no way bro. It has to have a diff motor.

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i see a big ass fire in future the in the tank pump goes any were from 30 10 190 psi carbs only need about 7 psi or so
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do a search on <a href="http://www.corral.net" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.corral.net</a> as I was just reading a thread about this a few day's ago and alot of people have done it & from what I remember a key factor will be a large return line. If You find the post on corral it goes into all the detail's [patriot] .

Just found it for Ya

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1024658 .

[ May 26, 2008, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: SmokinLX ]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SSF 50:
goin to put a carb motor in my 88 to see how this motor runs but not sure how the fuel pump will work out. think that hooking up the feed to the carb but what about the return. someone said to run a T off the feed and put on the return.

An EFI pump is a high pressure pump and a carb'd pump is low pressure. The two are not interchangable. Think of it this way.. efi fuel pressure is around 35-45PSI at the regulator and carb'd fuel pressure is around 7 psi [Smile]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no carb should ever have more than 6psi. it will cause the the fuel to run out of the vent tubes on the carb. all bad. [patriot] either get a reg to control the psi. or just get a holly blue pump.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

SSF 50
¯
Member # 7219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSF 50  Ford pictures for SSF 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the motor already has a fuel pump on it so if i take out the pump in the tank will it pump gas or do i have to get a 85 or older tank

[ May 29, 2008, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: SSF 50 ]

--------------------

"BAY AREA STUNNAZ"

SSF 50
¯
Member # 7219

so can i just disconnect the pump in the tank and use the one on the motor and it will work??

--------------------

"BAY AREA STUNNAZ"

Ronnie
¯
Member # 982

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ronnie  Ford pictures for Ronnie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just get a holley FPR and turn it down to 6-7 psi. EFI pump will work fine. If you are not running a TFI dist. though, you will have to hotwire the pump.

--------------------
'78 Chevy Luv 355 NOS Th350

Posts: 252 | From: Hayward, Ca. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SSF 50:
the motor already has a fuel pump on it so if i take out the pump in the tank will it pump gas or do i have to get a 85 or older tank

so it has a fuel pump on the timing chain cover? if you have the mech pump on the timing chain cover. then just take out the intank pump. make sure the fuel line still goes to the bottom of the tank. or.. get a reg and cut the fuel to 6psi.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

SSF 50
¯
Member # 7219

ya the pump is on the timing cover.if it will work by disconneting the intank pump i rather do that cause it will only be carb for a short time and then back to EFI.

--------------------

"BAY AREA STUNNAZ"

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mallory offers a regulator that you can use with a return line. Alot of guys with Third Gen F-bodies that swap from TPI to carb use this.

It's a band aid that works, but I wouldn't do it for too long. Just an idea.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com