Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what parts should I use??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what parts should I use??
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so I now have a 302 engine, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Erson 1.6 roller rockers, longtube headers, and stock (as far as I know) C4, stock rear end etc. from the article on FordMuscle, I figured the Edelbrock 1406 carb and Weiand Action+ intakes would be good for the power I expected to make, but that was before the heads. I also have no idea what cam I should run. any ideas as far as carb/intake/cam? as I've said before, I'm not making a racecar so all-out balls-to-the-wall power is not what I'm looking for. no crazy 1/4 mile monster, just something hotter than stock and fun to drive (I do have to restore the rest of the car ya know)

It's been suggested the Comp XE274 cam, but with that I would need a 2500+ stall converter...in all reality I'd probably eventually swap out the stocker and since it's right there waiting to be pulled off the trans with the engine being out and all, I'm thinking I may just get a stall converter. A Hughes 2500 Street Master is only $245 on Summit...

Please lmk what you think.

[ May 17, 2008, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: z pyro ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im not sure on the cam, im running a drag car for my set up. Id say a performer rpm intake and a 650cfm demon should do the trick. Call Comp Cams or crane and ask them, there techs will know and can get you the right cam for whatever compression, gears, tranny, stall, and could probably recomend an intake and carb too. Doesnt hurt to call that is what those guys get paid to do. I run a victor jr wit ha 850 and a retro roller cam. My buddy has a cougar with a perfomer rpm and a 650 carb forgot waht cam it has and it runs pretty good especially on the juice.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a edelbrock performer ported to a 1250
an edelbrock victor jr semi ported
also a brand new 650 holley dp
also a brand new 600 holley single pump
also a isky .538 mega cam used
msd dizzy for carb 302(changed plans)
crane hi-6 ign box
msd 6Al box
also have a few other cams i got to run the numbers to find what they are

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I downloaded the CamQuest6 program, plugged in my info and it recommended the 280HR and the XE274HR cams. Should I get the Edelbrock Performer RPM intake instead of the Weiand Action+? Would the Edelbrock 1406 carb still work with this combo? or should I get the 1806 Thunder AVS?

[ May 18, 2008, 12:56 AM: Message edited by: z pyro ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't go cheap on the converter or cam. These are 2 item's that must be done rite the 1st time [Wink] if You want a fun car to drive [burnout] . I would highly recommend a custom cam and a good converter & a place to get a great converter for a good price is www.edgeracingconverters.com You will be glad You put up the extra money when You get it together. If You can't afford to do both at once then get the custom cam and wait on the converter, don't waste Your money on a junk converter because You won't be happy with it.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
Don't go cheap on the converter or cam. These are 2 item's that must be done rite the 1st time [Wink] if You want a fun car to drive [burnout] . I would highly recommend a custom cam and a good converter & a place to get a great converter for a good price is <a href="http://www.edgeracingconverters.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.edgeracingconverters.com</a> You will be glad You put up the extra money when You get it together. If You can't afford to do both at once then get the custom cam and wait on the converter, don't waste Your money on a junk converter because You won't be happy with it.

why would I need a custom cam? and what's a junk converter? like I said I'm not going to be racing it, I'm not looking for maximum power, so why wouldn't an off the shelf cam work? I doubt I'd be disappointed with even the stock cam, considering I've been driving an integra and a chevy express van for the past couple of years

the cam i'm looking at is $260, the street converter at edge is only $10 more than the one I was looking at on summit

[ May 18, 2008, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: z pyro ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
These component's have a big effect on the overall driveability of the car as well as performance. I would call edge and they will put You on the line with Andre and He will recommend the rite stall for Your car instead of trying to guess which one would work the best & they do a TON of mustang's so they know them inside and out. Trust Me I ordered a B&M 2400 holeshot converter "cheap converter" and when got My edge converter it felt like I added 100+ horsepower [Eek!] , take it for what You will but I have been down this road before.

--------------------

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

quote:
These component's have a big effect on the overall driveability of the car as well as performance. I would call edge and they will put You on the line with Andre and He will recommend the rite stall for Your car instead of trying to guess which one would work the best & they do a TON of mustang's so they know them inside and out. Trust Me I ordered a B&M 2400 holeshot converter "cheap converter" and when got My edge converter it felt like I added 100+ horsepower [Eek!] , take it for what You will but I have been down this road before.

as long as it's the $250 street converter...I'm not spending almost $500 on a race converter when I'm only building a street car that will hardly ever be racing...you have a 10 second car, I don't want anything near that...

and it's not the converter I need help with, it's all the other components (cam, intake, carb)

[ May 18, 2008, 05:13 AM: Message edited by: z pyro ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Originally posted by z pyro:
quote:

and it's not the converter I need help with, it's all the other components (cam, intake, carb)
Well forget it then and order whatever You think will work [Razz] . Seriously I am giving You good information that will make the difference in a fun street car or an ineffecient lazy car [patriot] . As far as the cam selection goes a custom is abut 150 buck's more than most off the shelf's and can produce 15-25 peak horsepwer and a ton of hosepower through the rpm range, which is a great horsepwer to $ ratio. I would do a search on
http://forums.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55 and look for Jay Allen with camshaft innovation's. He is the guy I will be ordering My custom from when My stockblock gives up the ghost [dance] .

--------------------

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well forget it then and order whatever You think will work [Razz] . Seriously I am giving You good information that will make the difference in a fun street car or an ineffecient lazy car [patriot] . As far as the cam selection goes a custom is abut 150 buck's more than most off the shelf's and can produce 15-25 peak horsepwer and a ton of hosepower through the rpm range, which is a great horsepwer to $ ratio. I would do a search on
http://forums.corral.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55 and look for Jay Allen with camshaft innovation's. He is the guy I will be ordering My custom from when My stockblock gives up the ghost [dance] .

I just think your idea of a fun car is different from mine...I said I didn't care about max power, I just want stuff off the shelf that will work well together. I know there are parts that will work well together off the shelf, I just want to make sure I'm getting the right ones before I start spending thousands of dollars. Another reason I won't go get custom stuff is, like I said, I still need to restore the rest of the car. The entire interior needs to be replaced, the car needs a little bodywork and paint, needs wheels and tires etc etc etc...I can't justify spending hundreds more on custom parts that are unneccessary for my goals. As I said, I'm not making a racecar, I'm making a street car that will be hotter than stock. I have no doubt that some aluminum heads, and matched up cam, intake and carb will easily make more power than stock, and at this point that's all that I care about

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I just think your idea of a fun car is different from mine...I said I didn't care about max power, I just want stuff off the shelf that will work well together. I know there are parts that will work well together off the shelf, I just want to make sure I'm getting the right ones before I start spending thousands of dollars. Another reason I won't go get custom stuff is, like I said, I still need to restore the rest of the car. The entire interior needs to be replaced, the car needs a little bodywork and paint, needs wheels and tires etc etc etc...I can't justify spending hundreds more on custom parts that are unneccessary for my goals. As I said, I'm not making a racecar, I'm making a street car that will be hotter than stock. I have no doubt that some aluminum heads, and matched up cam, intake and carb will easily make more power than stock, and at this point that's all that I care about
I guess My idea of a fun street car is different than Your's. Good luck with Your build [patriot] .

--------------------

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

at this point even a stock 302 would be a fun car for me. I just want off the shelf stuff to work with the heads...the parts I listed, will they work or no?

[ May 18, 2008, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: z pyro ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i believe the 1406 is a 650cfm carb..
it will work to get u by but probably not the best carb out there. the rpm intake would work good too. you shouldnt need anything more than a 650cfm carb..
My brother in law runs a early model 306 early model 351w heads ported 194/160 runs a decent .5** lift cam an the weiand stealth inake i think full msd ignition an runs a 600 single pump holley. he has run a 650 dp before but runs better for street with the 600. i see the only advantage u have is the 202 valves.

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-1406
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=EDL-1806

those are the carbs I'm lookin at. seems the 1406 is a 600cfm Performer, the 1806 is a 650cfm Thunder AVS. are there different cfm ratings for the same part numbers? cuz I coulda swore I saw somewhere saying the 1406 was a 650 as well...

what would be the difference between the 600 and 650? would the bigger carb be more for higher rpm power, giving up throttle response and low end power?

[ May 18, 2008, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: z pyro ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

a engine builder once told me people always over carb their setups..

if interestd i got a 600 holley pretty much brand new if u havent go a carb yet also a brand new holley 650ddp.. alot people like holley over edelbrock.. i once had a edelbrock1407 an think it was a 750cfm carn on my old hci 351w. ran strong but never got to switch to a holley before i lost a rod bearing.

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

from what I've been reading, the Holleys are seen to be better for tuning, the Edelbrocks are reliable but somewhat limited when it comes to tuning, and are good to just install out of the box and go.

what model holleys do you have BlowN67?

[ May 19, 2008, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: z pyro ]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

i'll run some number on them this afternoon.
do u alreagy have an intake?
can make u a package deal on carb,intake,msd dizzy, an crane ign. box

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

I don't have any parts other than the engine and heads. I'm still trying to figure out what parts to use.

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't use an Edelbrock carb, they seem reliable for a year or so then tend to run like shit. Get a Holley and you wont regret it. I've seen at least 3 of the Edelbrocks take a dump and couldn't get any of them running right again even after a rebuild.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

I don't know if the products are THAT bad. If they were, they wouldn't be in business

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com