Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » V8 Swap. Here comes the Progress!!! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: V8 Swap. Here comes the Progress!!!
lky_3
¯
Member # 1116

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lky_3  Ford pictures for lky_3  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well. I just started the swap on my 90 4 Banger. Its been 2 days and all is going very well. So far I have the wiring harness out of the engine bay, the interior redone, and the rear end out. Here are some pics to see the before/after and progress. More pics to come. Plans are as follows:

306 w/
- GT40P's, Lightly ported
- Custom LT's to H pipe and 2 chamber flows, dumped.
- GT40 Tubular Intake
- 70MM Professional Products TB/EGR with EGR delete plate
- AFM 4" Power Pipe with a 90mm Lightning Mass Air and K&N Filter
- Aeromotive fuel rails with 6AN fittings, braided lines and a 255 in tank
- Paxton FPR with Stainless Lines
- 24#ers
- Edelbrock Waterpump
- Underdrive Pulleys
- MSD COMPLETE Ignition system
- Ford Racing 9mm wires
- Lunati 1.6 RR
- TFS 1 Cam
- KB Hyper-U Pistons
- No AC, SMOG or PS
- 130 AMP Alternator
- Crane Pushrod Guide Plates
- 5 Lug Conversion sitting on 17" Bullets (245/45Z's)
- Brakes: Front/Rear - 99 Calipers, Hawk Pads, SS Lines and Drilled Slotted Rotors
- Off Road H Dumped at the rear axle with 2 chamber flows
- Stock T-5 with a Steeda Tri-Ax
- Team Z K Member and Stock A Arms with Poly Bushings
- Summit Tubular Upp./Low. Control Arms
- Lakewood DS Safety loop
- Aluminum DS
- Lakewood Traction Control bars
- KYB GR2 Shocks and Struts With Eibach coil overs for the front and the Pro series for the rear
- Also a Built 3.73 Rear End by Synergy Motorsports

What do you guys think?

--------------------
89 GT

Yes, Primer is a color!

Posts: 891 | From: City of Angels / 91405 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
lky_3
¯
Member # 1116

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lky_3  Ford pictures for lky_3  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
89 GT

Yes, Primer is a color!

lky_3
¯
Member # 1116

Update: Got the A Arms off today. What a PITA that was. Also unbolted the tranny and motor mounts, removed what was left of the stock 2 cat exhaust and finished tearing the main harness wires out of the car. Think Im gonna do a little work on the new engine tomorrow and maybe fiberglass the saleen wing a bit. It has some cracks I want to fix. Next big step is pulling the engine and tranny.

--------------------
89 GT

Yes, Primer is a color!

lky_3
¯
Member # 1116

Well. I yanked the 4 banger fuel line and put in the V8 lines. pretty easy, No issues. Everything mounted in place. Took about 20 minutes to do. Then I went back to sanding.

POR-15
This stuff works GREAT. If you cant get to a welder or even know how to use one, I definatley recommend this stuff. I bought a 1lb. bar and didnt even use half to fill in all the small holes in the engine bay. It hardens like Metal and laughs at 180 grit when trying to sand. I had to use 60 grit, but then it worked very well. I followed up with some 120 for feathering and now its time for the bondo coat. Before I start the bondo I will take current pics. My roomie is in Miami with my camera so Im kinda on hold for now. SOOOOOOO Excited to finish this engine bay up. Oh, the work in the pics is only three 3 hour days worth.

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
89 GT

Yes, Primer is a color!

lky_3
¯
Member # 1116

Here is some Bondo / Sanding progress. Just need the welding done, which will be on Saturday and then the last touches of bondo before she goes to get painted. Here is the Rear End all bolted up. Looks Goooooooooooooooood! Im excited. Here is a Pic of the Current interior with Guages too.
Bondo is just about 18 hours so far, thats including POR-15. Not too bad. 3 days total.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
89 GT

Yes, Primer is a color!

stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger50  Ford pictures for stanger50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
restoration at its finest. lookin good. [patriot]

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT convertible
Bright Atlantic Blue (1 of 247)

20 year club.

BlueLightning302
¯
Member # 3974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueLightning302  Ford pictures for BlueLightning302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nice little set up, im guessin 270ish rwhp.

--------------------
Originally Member #935

2003 Mustang Cobra - Some mods

"Well, atleast the slow one's trying!!" - Al Bundy

lky_3
¯
Member # 1116

I was hoping to hit an even 300 RWHP.

--------------------
89 GT

Yes, Primer is a color!

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by lky_3:
I was hoping to hit an even 300 RWHP.

Keep up the good work [patriot] .Need a pretty good flowing head for 300!!! 270 sound's about rite for this combo IMO.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
progress looks good, keep at it [Smile]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Great progress, tell me about this POR15 filler???

Car looks about where mine is.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
408LIGHTNING
¯
Member # 7447

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 408LIGHTNING  Ford pictures for 408LIGHTNING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
Great progress, tell me about this POR15 filler???

x2

--------------------
**R.I.P Willie Guzman 5LTRSVT**
1988 lx hatch
2000 ford lightning
2007 sonic blue ZR1

lky_3
¯
Member # 1116

POR-15 is a clay that hardens like steel when fully cured and can even be tapped, drilled, whatever. My experience was good for my first time using it, but I must say that it did start to harden pretty quick. Its good for filling in the small holes in the engine bay i.e. Strut towers, but for the bigger holes, I would just cut the panel out and weld/rivet in some sheet metal. Much cleaner I would imagine and a lot less elbow grease is needed. Overall I give the stuff 4 out of 5 stars. It only took me 1 full 1lb bar to do the entire engine though. Big holes and all. Definatley a project.

--------------------
89 GT

Yes, Primer is a color!

*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Coming along nicely! [burnout]

--------------------
'00XlRangerSlammed-'91Gt347Turbo-'93CalypsoSCFaleen
FOXLIVESMATTER

----------------
*BlackGunsMatter*

Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
nineteen90coupe
¯
Member # 8034

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineteen90coupe  Ford pictures for nineteen90coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks good so far! engine looks bad ass!

--------------------
1990 lx coupe

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
note the engine is inside of the house......
thats a true mustang fan hahaha. looks good

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

lky_3
¯
Member # 1116

quote:
Originally posted by 302oons:
note the engine is inside of the house......
thats a true mustang fan hahaha. looks good

YEAH! Thanks. I Built it in my closet!!!!

--------------------
89 GT

Yes, Primer is a color!

mustang928
¯
Member # 2123

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustang928  Ford pictures for mustang928    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice, nice, nice, did I mention it looks nice?? I can't wait to get started on my V8 conversion, just need to free up some space, so i can get started.

Did you convert the P heads over to stud mounted or did you keep them ped? Definately keep the pics coming!

Posts: 333 | From: CALIFORNIA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
lky_3
¯
Member # 1116

quote:
Originally posted by mustang928:
Nice, nice, nice, did I mention it looks nice?? I can't wait to get started on my V8 conversion, just need to free up some space, so i can get started.

Did you convert the P heads over to stud mounted or did you keep them ped? Definately keep the pics coming!

Stud. 7/16"

--------------------
89 GT

Yes, Primer is a color!

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice! Can't wate to finish mine.

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Posts: 2860 | From: Richmond / Valley jo/ Petaluma | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mustang928:

Stud. 7/16"
Great work! Nice project!

Thanks for the info on the por15 filler.

Did you back any of the holes before using the por 15 filler?

Also +1 on the 7/16 stud conversion.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
mustang928
¯
Member # 2123

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustang928  Ford pictures for mustang928    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
7/16"

Where did you go to get this done and how much was it, if you don't mind me askin'?
Posts: 333 | From: CALIFORNIA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
lky_3
¯
Member # 1116

For the POR-15, I didnt use backing on the small holes and on the big holes (2) I just put a piece of cardboard behind the hole and then filled the hole. When it dried I peeled the cardboard off. No problems.

As for the stud work - It was included when I had my engine work done. In in SoCal though.

Thanks for all the Kudos Guys!

--------------------
89 GT

Yes, Primer is a color!

NightmareB4Xmas_68
¯
Member # 6371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NightmareB4Xmas_68  Ford pictures for NightmareB4Xmas_68    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
NICE PROJECT....! WISH I HAD THE DAMN TIME TO DO ANOTHER [Frown] GUESS U CANT PUT THE PEDAL COVERS ON THE LX HUH LOL... KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK [patriot]

[ May 15, 2008, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: MR. R.P.M ^__^ ]

--------------------
One day it'll get finished

Posts: 827 | From: OAKLAND,CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
sillyfifty
Member # 8197

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sillyfifty  Ford pictures for sillyfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey roughly how much did it cost in parts for the full transformation. would you consider doin another swap. and how much would the labor. hit me up kenneth535@yahoo.com
Posts: 4 | From: fairfield, ca | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com