Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » center pin retaining bolt : STRIPPED

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: center pin retaining bolt : STRIPPED
Coyote King
¯
Member # 8065

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyote King  Ford pictures for Coyote King    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im trying to take out my axles so i could finish my sn95 brake conversion and i stripped the bolt that holds the center pin in, at the rear diff. HOW COULD I BREAK IT LOOSE WITHOUT FURTHER DAMAGE??????

--------------------
91' GT
88' LX
13' Track Pack GT

Coyote King
¯
Member # 8065

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coyote King  Ford pictures for Coyote King    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AM I F*CKED? OR DO I STILL HAVE HOPE?

--------------------
91' GT
88' LX
13' Track Pack GT

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well what i usually use my air hammer to push the cross pin through, that means im breaking the pin and causing damage to the cross pin and carrier, but thats at work on other peoples vehicles, im not sure any other way of getting it out nicely.or you can take a cutoff wheel and cut into the carrier and cross pin where the bolt goes through the carrier but again your gonna need new parts. hope this helps any. goodluck

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

88bird
¯
Member # 1424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88bird  Ford pictures for 88bird    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get it hot where the threads are, it will loosen/melt the loc-tite, then smack the head of the bolt with a hammer a few times, put a good set of vice grips on it or beat the next size smaller socket (12 point works better) on it and it should come loose.

[ April 09, 2008, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: 88bird ]

Posts: 149 | From: Citrus Heights | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
porchstang
¯
Member # 7937

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for porchstang  Ford pictures for porchstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Knocking it through is the easiest and it give you a great excuse to upgrade to a lokar and some 31 spline axles. Usually the center section is fine though so you should be ok you will just need a new pin and bolt thats it. FYI those bolts break all the time.
Posts: 114 | From: Bakersfield | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com