Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cant get car to idle right

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cant get car to idle right
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just put in a 306. I set fuel pressure a 40psi with no vacuum. I move the #1 piston to tdc and i cant get it to idle at the right speed without dying with the timing set at 10 degrees. when it is set at 10 it doesnt want to idle below at about 1000 rpm. i have adjusted the idle screw to get it to idle at the right speed the car will just die. the only way i can get it to idle is with the timing set at 0. with the timing set at 0 it does have a little bit of a surging problem. any input would help thanks.

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a little more info. the motor will surge from about 700 rpm to 1200 rpm then settle down at about 900 rpm then start surging again and then eventually stall. checked tps and IAC both checked out ok.

--------------------

TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Vacuum leak

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TOPnotch:
Vacuum leak

big one [Smile] Check your upper to lower intake gasket and make sure it is seated properly.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

double checked vacuum lines couldnt find anything. if it is a vacuum leak why would the idle be stable with base timing set at zero?

--------------------

TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 5.0 cars tend to idle surge and do funny things when the tps voltage is out of range. If the car has an aftermarket cam you probably have the throttle blade open too far to get the car to idle and the tps voltage is over 1v Then you are compensating for it by retarding the timing. Put the initial timing off the crank back to 10 btdc thats where it should be. (with the spout connector un plugged of coarse) Adjust the idle and tps voltage from there. You will most likely have to slot the holes in the tps sensor to get it in range. You are looking for just under 1v at idle like .9 ect

Try that if you haven't yet

[patriot]

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
double checked vacuum lines couldnt find anything. if it is a vacuum leak why would the idle be stable with base timing set at zero?

how much vacuum do you get at idle?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

i have a tfs stage 1 cam with 1.7rr. i havent hooked a vacuum gauge to it yet. i gonna try to play with the idle screw and tps some more. thanks for the help

--------------------

89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the Idle Air Bypass solenoid- aka IAB..(the thing on the side of the EGR spacer)first check to see if its clogged with carbon, second see if it has smooth operation and isnt sticky, also try unplugging it & see if it affects the surge. Ford does make a plate to adjust the airflow to it, but I made my own; I cut out a gasket with smaller air holes to meter the air.. seemed to help my surge. Ive found that the IAB dosent deal well with aftermarket cams. Good luck.

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Be careful tampering with that idle screw. It can be very difficult to reset to the factory setting if you ever want to do that, which you probably will once you solve your idle problem.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Stan G
¯
Member # 6226

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stan G  Ford pictures for Stan G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you don't have a vacuum leak,

I think you're supposed to :

1. disconnect the battery, step on the brake 3 or
4 times to reset the ecu ,
reconnect the battery
2 warm up the car
3 disconnect the iac
4 set the idle speed using the idle adjust
screw.

5 plug the iac back in .

The computer will adapt after a while to what you set the idle to, but it may hunt for a while .

I think mine took a few days till It worked ok

--------------------
1985 RX-7, 347/T-5 , T/F T/W heads, typhoon intake, Tfs2 cam, pulleys, 2500 lbs .
3.63 rear gears , Megasquirt

Posts: 105 | From: Sun Coast , Florida | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com