Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » not ford tech but need help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: not ford tech but need help
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my 03 gmc sierra's volt gauge go's past 19 on the gauge like it's pegged. the truck died a few times today when i would slow down (like when i was coming to a stop)
my question is could it be the altenator or what else could it be.ive never seen something like this before. [Confused]

by the way it normally sits right a little past 14 on the gauge just like my other truck

[ March 09, 2008, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: 4.6 EATIN GM'S ]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
1bdpone
¯
Member # 6708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bdpone  Ford pictures for 1bdpone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The voltage regulator (built into the alternator) is bad. You need to replace your alternator. You may also need to replace your battery if it has been overcharged for an extended period of time.
Posts: 182 | From: Tri Valley | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
925GT50
¯
Member # 2683

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 925GT50  Ford pictures for 925GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id get the alternator bench tested and then go from there. Im not to sure though hence Ive yet to have any problems with mine.

Good luck keep posted on the outcome.

[ March 09, 2008, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: 925GT50 ]

--------------------
1990 GT hatch (owned since 05')
1988 GT (sold)
1995 SN95 Cobra (totaled/parted)
1995 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am LT1 (daily driver)

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my 91 exploder hade the same problem and it turned out to be the conection on the batt terminals. replaced the terminals and it was fixed.

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i have an extra altenator layin aound so ill swap them out tommarow after work and see if that fix's it.should only take me 20 minutes or so

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

well i swapped altenators and it still did it.so i took the altenator i pulled out of the truck and the battery down to autozone and the alt passed and the battery didnt.so im putting the new battery in today and see if it helps.

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com