Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Electric fan advice

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Electric fan advice
threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can anyone recommend a good electric fan set up? Any wiring tips? thx

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for a foxbody?

first, get a 3g alternator from an SN95 5.0

I personally run a modified lincoln mark8 fan with a thermostatic switch for the low speed turn on, and a manual switch for the high speed setting.

each switch needs a relay, each relay wire up with 12awg wire to power and ground, and then use smaller gauge, I used 16awg, to connect each switch inline with a 12v+ source, for my temp sensor I used a hot on run source, and for my manual switch I used an always on source.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, on a fox, can I run the stock alt. for now? I was thinking about a flex a lite or perma cool off summit. Is 2,500 cfm enough for a 331 in LA traffic? Also what about just a manual switch? thx

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

GreyLX
¯
Member # 5601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyLX  Ford pictures for GreyLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Manually switching SUCKS. It's what I am doing now on my turbo car and it is such a hassle to turn it on and off all the time. You also need to have a good autometer gauge to get an accurate read on the temp. As far as the fan goes, I am using the Mark 8 fan that I picked up on here for $40 [Big Grin] . You need to upgrade to a 3G alt and run a FAT relay.

[Big Grin]

[ February 28, 2008, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: GreyLX ]

87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4 sure if you go with an electric fan .get an sn95 alternator. i tried using the fan with out it and i ended up buying a new alt.& batary

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by threethirty1:
Yes, on a fox, can I run the stock alt. for now? I was thinking about a flex a lite or perma cool off summit. Is 2,500 cfm enough for a 331 in LA traffic? Also what about just a manual switch? thx

I don't like any of the aftermarket fans, personally I think they look hack job when they're installed.

this is what my setup looks like...runs at the thermostat temp all day long, no matter how or where I'm driving it.

-

this is how much material has to be cut off from the fan shroud to fit right.

-

and no, you can't use a stock alternator with an electric fan, the stock alternator is rated to 65amps at full charge, at idle it puts out about 25 or 30 amps, a good fan like a mark8 draws about 40amps when it's kicked on to high speed, and about 15-20amps while its running.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Thanks for all the info guys. [patriot]

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mark VIII or Taurus fan. If you need something low profile go with the Ramcharger's dual fan setup.

You will need a wiring kit (like the one Painless Products sells).

And like Blind said.. upgrade your alternator and use a thermostat [patriot]

Here's a good write up on the Lincon setup

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/10/Mark8Fan/index.php

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Think hard before you do this. If you go electric, you will not be able to produce as much airflow and thus your car will run hotter. You will also introduce a big load on your electrical system.

Ask yourself why you want to do this, are you trying to gain horsepower? You won't notice the difference. Are you trying to get better cooling? Then you are going in the wrong direction. What are you trying to gain? I doubt it will turn out like you expect.

Just trying to give you a sanity check. I went down this road, spent a lot of money and faced a lot of hassle (such as when my fan stopped working and my nice expensive engine shot up to 270 degrees). In the end I went back to stock.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

OK, so what can I do?

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by BCINGUU:
Think hard before you do this. If you go electric, you will not be able to produce as much airflow and thus your car will run hotter. You will also introduce a big load on your electrical system.

Ask yourself why you want to do this, are you trying to gain horsepower? You won't notice the difference. Are you trying to get better cooling? Then you are going in the wrong direction. What are you trying to gain? I doubt it will turn out like you expect.

Just trying to give you a sanity check. I went down this road, spent a lot of money and faced a lot of hassle (such as when my fan stopped working and my nice expensive engine shot up to 270 degrees). In the end I went back to stock.

that's odd, the only time I -ever- had a cooling problem with an electric fan was with a POS after market black magic fan, because the mounts broke off the top of my radiator when I downshifted at an autocross and the fan fell off. Even before that I had the temp control unit on the fan dye, so it only worked with a switch, that fan was a pile of crap...

After I replaced that fan with the mark8 fan, which is OE on a heavier car with a smaller radiator that has a tranny cooler inside it also, and a 4.6L DOHC v8, I have never had a problem, the fan hardly ever turns on with the temperature switch.

if electric fans are so horrible, why did ford do away with clutch fans on the mustang completely in 1994 (14 years ago) ... ?

[ February 29, 2008, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
that's odd, the only time I -ever- had a cooling problem with an electric fan was with a POS after market black magic fan,

I think that whether you have problems or not with an electric fan depends on your cooling needs. Even a Mark VIII fan, which flows 4000 cfm and pulls more air than any other electric fan, flows only half as much as a stock mechanical fan with a heavy duty clutch. If your engine combo doesn't produce a lot of heat then you may not need that much flow. But my combos do.

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
if electric fans are so horrible, why did ford do away with clutch fans on the mustang completely in 1994 (14 years ago) ... ?

Hmm, it sounds like you're implying that Ford makes their engineering decisions based on performance, not cost? [Wink]

Wow, has it really been 14 years already? I remember when the SN95 was the hot new car, with its modular engine and all... like it was yesterday...

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com