Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » New Member to the 5.0 Scene have ?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: New Member to the 5.0 Scene have ?
square
Member # 1826

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for square  Ford pictures for square    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hello all, I have been more of a shadow or lurky to the forum for the past few years rather than an active poster.

Anyways I have been keeping my eye for a clean 89-93 Gt/Lx for use as a fun daily driver. I don't plan on doing any major hotrodding to the car just maybe the usual bolt ons. I will be pulling the trigger in a month or so once a clean example crosses my path.

I was wondering what is difference in gas mileage for a stock 5spd to auto.

Also what to look out for with wear and tear items. I'm a car guy and can tell the difference from a good maintained vehicle from a POS. But I know each car model always has its quirks to look for.

Thanks!

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will get better milage and better performance out of a 5 speed. I would not get an auto.

Here are some things to look for when purchasing

- run a car fax and make sure the title is clean.
- make sure the heater works and the heater core isn't leaking (not cheap to have it replaced)
- look for oil leaks in front and back of motor
- make sure the seller will take care of smog
- check to make sure the body is straight (look at the inner fender aprons, check the sub frames, make sure the torque boxes aren't fucked, etc)
- listen for transmission noises and make sure it doesn't grind or pop outa gear.
- make sure the check engine light isn't on
- Look at the oil and radiator fluid and make sure it isn't milky
- do a compression test on the motor
- verify that the car is not a 4 cyl that has been converted to a 5.0
- Make sure the tires (front and back) are not worn un-evenly.
- Check for rust

These are just a few things I can think of. I'm others will have more.

Welcome to the site [patriot]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
square
Member # 1826

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for square  Ford pictures for square    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks, General used car check list
1bdpone
¯
Member # 6708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bdpone  Ford pictures for 1bdpone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also, take a look at the drivers front seat. The seat back will look twisted or the right side will lean back more than the left if the car has been beat on. It is easy to see when looking from the back of the car through the back window or an open hatch.
Posts: 182 | From: Tri Valley | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats not necessarily if theyve been beat on, the brackets brake under anything but the most gentile treatment.

common issues
broken drivers handle (not hard to fix)
broken speedo/worn cable (needle bounces or doesnt read right)
fuel level sender
ash tray door broken
worn center console and armrest mats
saggy door pockets on later models
heater core (if it hasnt been replaced already itll need to be, count on that @3-400 bux from a member 7 plus from a shop)

if you find one that doesnt have a single one of those items, BUY IT, cause its truly been well taken care of. mechanically they are quite sound in 5spd format. do NOT buy a modded auto, its a ticking time bomb. they dont generally need major services like valve jobs or timing chains or internal items, even with abuse, that is a nice thing about them. everything external, however, is fair game to failure, thanks ford [Smile]

ive got a mechanically sound one with a substantial list of mods, however, its not the easiest on the eyes. a grand at a decent body shop and youd have one of the cleanest around though. dark green lx with gray interior if ur interested.

[ February 28, 2008, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: kingmoochr ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com