Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How to remove Super Glue???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How to remove Super Glue???
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought a 94 Mustang. The previous owner took the factory GT emblem off the fender and Super Glued 5.0 emblem's on. During this process, he over estimated the the amount of Super Glue necessary for this type of application [Frown] . Now I am left with the fun task of removing two HUGE fucking drips from the fender.

I have already used Super Glue remover (that stuff is crap) & had some luck with Goof Off, but i'm afraid I'm goin to damage the paint. Any other recommendations to get this stuff off with out doing any damage???

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Dag302
¯
Member # 4682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dag302  Ford pictures for Dag302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would carefully heat it up with a heat gun and try and pull off.

--------------------
04 Expedition 4X4
93 Cobra #822
96 Cobra

Posts: 2842 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Dag302:
I would carefully heat it up with a heat gun and try and pull off.

Good idea. I haven't tried that yet.

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get dental floss and try to "floss" the area between the emblem and paint. Use a sawing motion to remove it.

Good luck!

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ide say keep using the goof-off, that shit works. shouldnt hurt the paint unless you let it sit on there for a long period of time. other than that, the heat gun might work but than your chances of peeling the paint with the goof-off is higher. usually heating the glue would fix the problem but i wouldnt try heating it with the goof-off, that should either peel or fade your paint fer sure.

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

r3dn3ck
¯
Member # 3192

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r3dn3ck  Ford pictures for r3dn3ck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Crazy Glue brand makes a super-glue remover. It's a pretty mild chemical that just seems to deactivate the bond.

Normally sold with the glue itself. Works instantly.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Via O'Connor

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lighter fluid
nsty_2000
¯
Member # 7921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nsty_2000  Ford pictures for nsty_2000    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
heat gun or really hot hair drier
Posts: 109 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Sep 2007  |  :
nsty_2000
¯
Member # 7921

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nsty_2000  Ford pictures for nsty_2000    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and also, after most is removed, pamper it with rubbing alcohol. worked miracles with the unwanted chrome "mustang" emblem 2000 GT bumper.

--------------------
2000 GT- 373s comming soon/shift kit/stall
2000 Accord- L7 15'/Diamond D3 1000.1
caraudio.com "2kaccord"

Posts: 109 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Sep 2007  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

I bought this device from Finish Masters (It looks like a little wood plane), It's main purpose is sheer off high spots on a new paint job left by dust or bubbles. It took most of the glue off. I finished with general purpose adhesive remover.

Thanks for the help guys [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com