Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need Exhaust help!!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need Exhaust help!!!!
showinnolove54
¯
Member # 8220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for showinnolove54  Ford pictures for showinnolove54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im from san jose, CA. I was wondering if any 1 knows how many cats the 1996 Mustang GT has to have to pass smog? Thanx
Posts: 41 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
5.0XR4
¯
Member # 8229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0XR4  Ford pictures for 5.0XR4    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the stock setup needs the 4 CAT. BUT, Dynamax has a CARB EO, stock-replacement 2 CAT setup. Its very nice, not that expensive, and its one of the few which actually has the EO for CA.

Lot of shops will hook up whatever brand they carry, and you can find a good 2 CAT system, but if you're worried about the visual portion of smog, then the Dynamax is the only option, AFAIK.

I got mine over at SunnyOaks Muffler, right at San Tomas/Camden & Hwy 17. Guys do excellent work... had them build a complete exhaust, and its a nice job.

For my 5.0L swap into the Merkur, I needed to have either a new 4CAT, or a legal 2CAT. There wasn't enough room under the Merkur for the 4CAT, and after doing some research, the Dynamax was the only one I found. Plus, you can go to their website and call them, or download the EO number off the site, if I recall. The box it comes in has a label w/ all the info and CA ref.

When I went to the smog ref, I showed him the label, and he put a mirror under the car to check that it was a Dynamax. I offered the printout, but I guess just seeing it was a Dynamax was good enough.

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is a 4-cat setup with pre-heaters, giving the appearance of 6 cats total. If you are concerned about passing visual, it's best to have the stock pipe.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
93 CHP
¯
Member # 8240

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93 CHP  Ford pictures for 93 CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea 4 cats
showinnolove54
¯
Member # 8220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for showinnolove54  Ford pictures for showinnolove54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for advice. I jus bought this car and the owners before hollowed out all 6 cats like a jackass. Visually it will pass right now but exhaust wise it wont.

CAN I JUST REPLACE 2 CATS ON THERE FOR IT TO PASS SMOG?

Posts: 41 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
5.0XR4
¯
Member # 8229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0XR4  Ford pictures for 5.0XR4    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have to make a correction. Thanks showinnolove54 for checking...

Checking my files, the CAT system I used was from Magnaflow (Magnaflow Performance Exhaust), NOT Dynomax.

Magnaflow item:

Direct-Fit Catalytic Converter, Part # 93337

Their phone # is: (949) 858-5900

Mine had the EO type number stamped into the downside of each CAT. I've always presumed those were the CARB EO #s, and the smog ref looked them up, with the downloaded info from Magnaflow's website, and the factory label. Maybe the numbers just prove that they are CA legal "direct-replacement" converters and not actual CARB EO#s, but the ref passed them as legal for '86-'93 Mustang.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com