Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need a code reader near Martinez car wont start

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need a code reader near Martinez car wont start
ryans 98 snake
Member # 8227

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ryans 98 snake  Ford pictures for ryans 98 snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I need a code reader does anyone have one near Virginia hills safeway in Martinez. Im stranded and need to pull the codes to see why my car wont start. I'll give anyone who shows a new IAC for their trouble. Ryan 925-812-2929

details of the problem and what I 've tried so far.
update: the theft light is not blinking anymore but the pum is not priming with the key in start position.

OK so In the middle of an intersection and my car dies Ive got power the motor cranks fine so Im thinking dirty MAF or IAC or bad fuel pump(FDM since its a 98) like last time.

1.I pulled the maf and cleaned it thoroughly and replaced no dice.
2. pulled and cleaned IAC no dice
3. dropped the fuel tank bc I could not hear the fuel pump priming (had previously installed a walbro 255 in my 98 only fuel delivery module
I relplaced the fuel module with one I had picked up brand new off craigslist. 4. the one I installed was different that the one that came on the car. Instead of having one plug coming off the wiring harness this one had a second three prong plug that went IDK where(fuel pressure sensor for Ca emissions?. I called ford and they said that it was for emissions or something and that my California car was fitted with a 49 state fuel module. SO..I nstalled it replaced the grommet while I was there and bolted all back up replaced the battery and tried to fire it up....well that did
nothing.
6. my 02 sensor harness had gotten chewed up on the drivers side where is comes down from the engine. I wired that up with new 18g wore and plugged the two back together

5. swapped out the glovebox fuel relay with another I had and nope.
I finally opened up the fuse panel in the power distribution box and found that the 20 amp fuse 2 or three up on the left had side had blown. I replaced it and now the car wont start. there is about 1/4 tank of gas in the tank.
6 I reset the intertia switch
7. replaced 20 amp maxi fuse on the power ditribution block that had popped.
8. My theft light is solid for 3 secs when I turn the key to prime the fuel pum (which is doesnt) when I crank the car the thrft light flashes rapidly.

thanks for the help...btw I m not a newbie I just cant access my old password due to changing ISPs

Ryan 925-812-2929

Ryan

[ February 20, 2008, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: ryans 98 snake ]

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you done any interior work or changed out interior panels lately? From your post, it appears you have the power wire (fuel pump)grounding out somewhere.

Take a simple approach to it. Are you getting power to the inertia switch? If not, work your way back. You'll find the problem. My first two checks would be power at the switch and power at your ingition switch...

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
ryans 98 snake
Member # 8227

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ryans 98 snake  Ford pictures for ryans 98 snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I need to get my hands on a multi meter. power at the ignition switch doesn't seem to be the issue since the car will crank inertia is left to be discovered. the fuel module I did put in the car has another 3 wire connecter other than for fuel barometric pressure for Ca cars only and the one I removed did NOT have that plug. the 4 wire plug is the only one I could plug in.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You definitely need to check power. It could solve alot of the guessing of what may/may not be wrong.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
ryans 98 snake
Member # 8227

FIXED THE PROBLEM
turns out that the 98 only fuel delivery module I bought a while back the $350 dollar piece was the WRONG one for my car. I have a 49 state car. The whole damn problem was the FIRST place I should have checked. The 20 AMP MAXI fuse on the power distribution block left hand side two fuses up. SO if anyone needs a 98 only fuel delivery module I have one available cheap! thanks for the help!

ryans 98 snake
Member # 8227

SHIT now the car wont start again. the fuel pump is priming, plenty of gas the maf is clean the AIC is new the fuses are good Im just missing something what can it be?
30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
got a gun if you need it, im in fairfield

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

ryans 98 snake
Member # 8227

thanks to shoot myself or my car? Im assuming you mean a code puller?
NORCALSTANGS
¯
Member # 3706

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NORCALSTANGS  Ford pictures for NORCALSTANGS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a obd2 code reader i'm in san ramon

--------------------
2014 gt stick ghig
2005 gt auto blue

Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln
¯
Member # 7637

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln  Ford pictures for Ricks Hot Rod Lincoln  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Autozone has free loaner code scanners, you just have to leave a deposit.

--------------------
Son, Ya gonna drive me to drinkin if ya don't stop driving that Hot--Rod--Lincoln.

Posts: 46 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: May 2007  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com