Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » BASSANI X PIPE WITH CATS

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: BASSANI X PIPE WITH CATS
caballosalvaje331
¯
Member # 8137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for caballosalvaje331  Ford pictures for caballosalvaje331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HELLO GUYS I'M WONDERING IF THE BASSANI OR BBK X PIPES WILL PASS SMOG IF THEY COME WITH THE CATS? HAS ANYONE OF YOU GUYS PASS SMOG WITH OF THE SMOG TECH SAYING ANYTHING? SEE I BOUGHT AND INSTALL BASSANI X PIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CATS, AND WANT TO SELL MY STOCK H PIPE IF I DON'T NEED IT NO MORE.

--------------------
stangless but still own a ford

Posts: 343 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
GreyLX
¯
Member # 5601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyLX  Ford pictures for GreyLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I passed the sniff test for like 3 years in a row but it was NOT a test only location. Test only location noticed that I did not have 4 cats and immediately called me on it. Nowadays it seems that every test is a test only test (especially for Mustangs) so you have to run the 4 cats for it.

I was running the Bassani 2.5" X w/ cats.

[Big Grin]

caballosalvaje331
¯
Member # 8137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for caballosalvaje331  Ford pictures for caballosalvaje331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SO I BETTER KEEP TO STOCK H-PIPE JUST IN CASE.

--------------------

GreyLX
¯
Member # 5601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyLX  Ford pictures for GreyLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's why you see so many people looking for the stock H pipe in the "For Sale" section. I kept mine and luckily my buddy kept his stock headers when I met an overzealous smog tech.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
93GT DSS331 incon800tti

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can pass the sniffer. However, if the techs really picky you wont pass visual. Just head on to the next shop..

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

RioredGT
¯
Member # 2300

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RioredGT  Ford pictures for RioredGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
Just head on to the next shop..

+1

I've had to do a test only 3 times now with my bassani X w/cats, they've never said anything about only having 2 instead of 4 cats. [patriot]

[ February 20, 2008, 02:02 AM: Message edited by: RioredGT ]

30Tunes
¯
Member # 8105

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 30Tunes  Ford pictures for 30Tunes  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ill trade you my bbk h pipe for ur x. i dont need to pass smog cause i own a dealership and my cars in the dealerships name

--------------------
SUCCESS ONLY COMES BEFORE WORK IN THE DICTIONARY

1991 Calypso Green Notch
1993 Cobra Clone - SOLD

BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a BBK H pipe on my 93 it passed just fine. It had 1 cat per side. The guy did not even look for #'s.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
1bdpone
¯
Member # 6708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bdpone  Ford pictures for 1bdpone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just an FYI - Magnaflow's X-pipe w/cat is CARB legal and the cat is stamped with the part# that matches the CARB approved part. I believe Magnaflow is the only aftermarket pipe with CARB approval.
Posts: 182 | From: Tri Valley | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
vicstatic
¯
Member # 6702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vicstatic  Ford pictures for vicstatic    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ February 20, 2008, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: vicstatic ]

--------------------
Looking for Fox

vicstatic
¯
Member # 6702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vicstatic  Ford pictures for vicstatic    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure if Magnaflow makes a catted X/H pipe for the 87-93.
Or do they?

--------------------
Looking for Fox

GreyLX
¯
Member # 5601

quote:
Originally posted by vicstatic:
Not sure if Magnaflow makes a catted X/H pipe for the 87-93.
Or do they?

Wow. They Do:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=American&id=298

Finally a smog legal alternative to the stock 4 cat H!

Sweet!

Anyone know anyone running one?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
93GT DSS331 incon800tti

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes..it is carbed approved, but what it comes down to is that when you bring your car to get smog checked it will still say (on their system) that the car comes with more then one cat on each side of the exhaust. Guess what...you will fail on visual. You can preach your approved carb number, but if the tech is giving you crap already and checking the number of cats you have then your pretty much ass out.
Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
caballosalvaje331
¯
Member # 8137

quote:
Originally posted by CobramanPhil:
Yes..it is carbed approved, but what it comes down to is that when you bring your car to get smog checked it will still say (on their system) that the car comes with more then one cat on each side of the exhaust. Guess what...you will fail on visual. You can preach your approved carb number, but if the tech is giving you crap already and checking the number of cats you have then your pretty much ass out.

so is better to keep my stock hpipe just incase.i want to sell it since is just taking up space. and heavy and super ugly lol

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com