Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what size push rods for rockers

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what size push rods for rockers
p5.0
¯
Member # 6160

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for p5.0  Ford pictures for p5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im building a 331 that will pass smog. its got a e cam edlebrock heads that pass smog. 1.6 rockers gt 40 intake. need to know if the stock push rods will work with this set up or do i got to go with 6.700 push rods. i also want to know if the stock height vavle covers will work with the 1.6 rrs. all the help with be koo.

--------------------
RIP 91 300zx
sold 90 300zx
05 GSXR sold
94 gt 331 sold
01 lightning
03 ninja 636 sold
67 mustang coupe project
03 R1 sold

p5.0
¯
Member # 6160

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for p5.0  Ford pictures for p5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ttt

--------------------
RIP 91 300zx
sold 90 300zx
05 GSXR sold
94 gt 331 sold
01 lightning
03 ninja 636 sold
67 mustang coupe project
03 R1 sold

71MercGT
¯
Member # 4305

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 71MercGT  Ford pictures for 71MercGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Best bet would be to find someone that knows how to use a pushrod length checker. Every cam and head combo is different. good luck. They sell them cheap at summit , or any local speed shop
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pedestal or stud mount rockers? Guide plates or no?

The stock valve covers will work with the baffles cut out of the inside. This applies for pre-93 valve covers only...93 Cobra/94-95 Cobra and GT will not work.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
p5.0
¯
Member # 6160

they are pedestal mount. must likely not gna have guide plates

--------------------
RIP 91 300zx
sold 90 300zx
05 GSXR sold
94 gt 331 sold
01 lightning
03 ninja 636 sold
67 mustang coupe project
03 R1 sold

caballosalvaje331
¯
Member # 8137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for caballosalvaje331  Ford pictures for caballosalvaje331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by p5.0:
they are pedestal mount. must likely not gna have guide plates

i believe on stud mount rockers have guides plates. but could be wrong.

--------------------
stangless but still own a ford

Posts: 343 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 71MercGT:
Best bet would be to find someone that knows how to use a pushrod length checker. Every cam and head combo is different. good luck. They sell them cheap at summit , or any local speed shop

+1 I would measure them and be sure.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
85gtcarbro8du-up
¯
Member # 5169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85gtcarbro8du-up  Ford pictures for 85gtcarbro8du-up    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im not sayin yes, but i have a set of crane 1.7 roller rockers with the e-cam, and the stock pushrods work. you might wanna double check though.

--------------------
weiand blown 302 with all the goodies

too many horses and ft lbs for a t-5. looks like rebuild or upgrade time

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a push rod length checker that may be the right length for you. I also know how to check length but I am so busy.

They are only 12 bucks from summit.

Easy to use.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pushrod checkers are easy to use. just take off the rocker and drop the checker in. adjust the checker tell you get the roller tip in the center of the vavle the most (turning the motor over by hand to see how it rides on the vavle). then get the pushrod that is the closet to the number on the checker. as for the vavle covers you just take the baffle out and hit it up with a die grinder. easy money. [patriot]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
phillip it's scott with the red 89 gt, call up the guy who built my motor jeff zinola, He's extremely knowlegable. 650-390-9367

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got some trickflow 6.750 pushrods with 100 miles on them if that ends up being the lenght you need. $60

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the stock pushrods should work just fine for you. The 6.7 are normaly for trickflow heads.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

p5.0
¯
Member # 6160

thanks for all the help guys. im not at the point to test the length yet since my motor is still at the machine shop. been there for awhile. agh. i hope i am able to use all the info that was said.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com