Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » valves hitting on decked 6025 heads? w/ 1.7 RR and F303

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: valves hitting on decked 6025 heads? w/ 1.7 RR and F303
SVT Fox
¯
Member # 1837

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVT Fox  Ford pictures for SVT Fox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
heads are performers 6025s then been shaven down twice now from warping. I was installing my ford/crane 1.7 RR and on about the 4th one back the motor would stop. I never torqued it hard or tried to force it. I loosened up everything and it was free again..

The timing is set at 0 on cam gear.

timing? (easy fix)

RR ratio/pushrod lenght? (2nd easy)

camshaft?

I hope i dident bend my new valves!!! or damage a lifter...

--------------------
65 coupe
66 Coupe
92 Fobra
97 Cobra
98 Cobra
01 GT

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if its taken apart or ur gonna take it apart, degree the cam at -4 should clear

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
SVT Fox
¯
Member # 1837

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVT Fox  Ford pictures for SVT Fox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats what people are saying on other forums, My cam was not degreed correctly so I have to fix that. Im going to get a wheel and degree it if retarding it 4 does not work.

--------------------
65 coupe
66 Coupe
92 Fobra
97 Cobra
98 Cobra
01 GT

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dude, NEVER go off of what people say. Set it up and do a piston to valve clearance check. Do it the right way and do it once.

Way too much money in that combo to skimp.

You are INSANE to skimp on this.

You do understand that just turning the motor over and it clearing has NOTHING to do with piston to valve clearance.

There are so many things going on in the MOST important piece of you motor, the valvetrain.

There are valve harmonics, especially if that is an off the shelf edelbrock, there are piston to valve radiuses to be checked etc.

Here is a link that will help (if you are unfamilar with this)and you can call me anytime. I have done this millions of times.

Also degreeing the cam +/- dramatically changes your power band and just makes no sense unless you are doing it for a specific reason.

I dont mean to sound harsh, but I am trying to help out a fellow enthusiast.

Dan

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,57.0.html

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also if you need to flycut the pistons, I can do this for your or show you how or send you a link. The tools are expensive for what you need done and it is labor intensive but well worth it. I have the tools for 2.02 but not for 1.90 or 1.60, however I will be purchasing them shortly for 1.90 and 1.60 even though I have never had an exhaust valve come close to hitting on a non 17 or 23 degree twisted chamber SBF head.

--------------------

SVT Fox
¯
Member # 1837

i can assure you Im not putting it back together unless I know its correct. I have 1.6 exhaust 1.9 intake. Im calling the shop that decked them.

--------------------
65 coupe
66 Coupe
92 Fobra
97 Cobra
98 Cobra
01 GT

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by SVT Fox:
i can assure you Im not putting it back together unless I know its correct. I have 1.6 exhaust 1.9 intake. Im calling the shop that decked them.

Ok.....but you can save yourself the time and hassle of removing the shortblock and taking it to a machine shop to be flycut by doing it yourself. If you put the cam in, degreed it and put the heads on yourself, then you can definitely check PTV clearances.

Im here if you need any help.

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Also,
Something to consider. If you are at 0 clearance now (interference) with a 1.7 rocker then going to a 1.6 rocker will net you 40 tho clearance on the high side and 20 tho on the low side. You want at least 80 tho on the intake side. FYI.

Also most rockers 1.7,1.6 etc are machined with allowable tolerances so when you actually measure it can be up to 1.648 or so actual ratio and still be put into a package and sold. Can be a good and a BAD thing for you..

Something to remember.

--------------------

SVT Fox
¯
Member # 1837

I know my cam is not the best choice for my setup, Would getting a custom grind be the best choice as this point?

--------------------
65 coupe
66 Coupe
92 Fobra
97 Cobra
98 Cobra
01 GT

SVT Fox
¯
Member # 1837

i just realized that some of the valves, the ones that were hitting, those lifters are not compressing and in turn the valve was slightly open when rockers got torqued down...

--------------------
65 coupe
66 Coupe
92 Fobra
97 Cobra
98 Cobra
01 GT

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by SVT Fox:
i just realized that some of the valves, the ones that were hitting, those lifters are not compressing and in turn the valve was slightly open when rockers got torqued down...

Id still check and double check PTV. Just the fact that the motor spins over and doesnt contact is not good enough man.

You can check PTV head on or head off. Worth the time.

Glad you found one issue.

You can play with headgasket thickness and yes, if you know what your interference is you can have a cam custom ground around this. Gonna have to give alot of info to the cam grinder.

Try Jay Allen at http://www.camshaftinnovations.com/. He will need your valve springs specs and about 1,000 other pieces of information.

That cam will run like a raped ape and perform better than any OTS cam more than likely.

Co$t money tho..

Good luck.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com