Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4cyl to v8 swap

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4cyl to v8 swap
lowriderryda
¯
Member # 7397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lowriderryda  Ford pictures for lowriderryda    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was wondering how hard would it be to swap out a 93 4cyl motor and auto trany to a v8 with a 5speed and what kind of kits or conversion stuff would i need thanks
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not hard, but VERY time consuming. If you've got the time, go for it. At a minimum, you need fuel lines, tank, all V8 engine components, Trans, ECM harness, injector harness, all front accessories, exhaust...I'm sure I'm missing a few things here....

"Blind" will jump in here anytime now... [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and all of those harness's need to be from a `93 mustang 5.0 or it won't plug up right, they even moved the fuel pump relay that year to the ecu harness.

if you want it to be identical to a 5.0, you'll need to change struts/shocks/springs/spindles/rearend/rear brake hard lines/front rotors/wheel bearings/calipers/master cylinder/brake booster/vacuum distro/bap sensor/tad/tab solenoids...etc.

best bet would be to find a wrecked `93 5.0 and swap EVERYTHING over that makes it stop or go, or controls those functions.

You'll also need to of course change the rear end, I swapped the entire fuel tank but you could get away with just the fuel pump assembly, you have to change it because the fuel lines come out differently, then the fuel lines from the tank to the engine bay also need to be changed.

it's a big job but nothing is particularly hard as it's just unbolting and bolting stuff up...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
lowriderryda
¯
Member # 7397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lowriderryda  Ford pictures for lowriderryda    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for the info looks like its more than i can handle
SVT Fox
¯
Member # 1837

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVT Fox  Ford pictures for SVT Fox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
blind is the man

--------------------
65 coupe
66 Coupe
92 Fobra
97 Cobra
98 Cobra
01 GT

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com