Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Oil filter (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oil filter
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I changed My oil filter last time I just tightened it up as tight as I could with My hand's & now the damn thing will not budge [Confused] . I threw an oil filter wrench on it and all it does is bend's the filter and still does'nt turn [Mad] . Anyone have any suggestion's besides a gallon of gas and a match?

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

70mach351
¯
Member # 7528

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 70mach351  Ford pictures for 70mach351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
time to hit the gym. j/k which wrench did you try the one that slips on the end of the filter or the one that looks like a belt and grips in the center, the ones that go on the end always worked when I had my F-body.

--------------------
70 Mach 1 gettin a make over
2001 Ford F250 Crew Cab 7.3

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Used the one that slip's over the end of the filter. I am definatley not using these carquest filter's in the future as I have never seen a filter bend in this easy [BS flag] .

--------------------

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Punch a screwdriver through it with a hammer. Turn the filter off by pulling/pushing on the screwdriver! Works every time.

[ January 16, 2008, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Notch1320 ]

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
Punch a screwdriver through it with a hammer. Turn the filter off by pulling/pushing on the screwdriver! Works every time.

I have done that before a couple times but once it still did'nt turn and I was left with one hell of a sharp mess! I might resort to it if I don't figure something else out. Do You puncture it closer to the engine? middle? or rounded end?

--------------------

fastertoys1
¯
Member # 5270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastertoys1  Ford pictures for fastertoys1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u know u have to turn it to the left ........j/k good luck
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mainly in the middle, just be aware of the threads.

Just curious, but how hard are you tightening the filter when you install it?

[ January 16, 2008, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Notch1320 ]

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
Mainly in the middle, just be aware of the threads.

Just curious, but how hard are you tightening the filter when you install it?

Just hand tight NO WRENCH! So that is what is killing Me as I hav'nt had this problem for along time and when I did it was alway's when the oil changers did it and overtighten it on purpose to persuade You to come back. Fuck it I am going out with the hammer and screw driver [dance] . Doing a head gasket change You would think the filter would be the last of Your worries hugh [Roll Eyes] .

--------------------

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Originally posted by fastertoys1:
u know u have to turn it to the left ........j/k good luck

Thank's for the tip [Wink] .

--------------------

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

All rite I got er done so thank's people. Now I am off to loosen up the engine mount bolt's yepee!

--------------------

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thirteen Twenty  Ford pictures for Thirteen Twenty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
always put a thin film of grease or oil on the rubber seal when installing a new filter and you won't have this problem.
Posts: 647 | From: union city | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

I did I put a thin film of motor oil on every time [Confused] . I must have had My wheaties that morning when I put the oil filter on [Big Grin] .

--------------------

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Got the head's off so to,orrow they will go in for a resurfacing & valve job. I love head gasket changes [Roll Eyes] .

--------------------

BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You Kids. Are Funny. Use two hands on the filter you little Twink....

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You're doing another HG change Mark? Damn!

And yes, carquest filters are flimsy...I used one one time, found the same thing out.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Originally posted by BlownNOSMustang:

Yep 38 year old kid. Little twink? Have We met? You just kidding around [Razz] ?

--------------------

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
You're doing another HG change Mark? Damn!

And yes, carquest filters are flimsy...I used one one time, found the same thing out.

Yeah just got back from the dyno and I seemed to be pressurizing the cooling system. I also used the fel pro 1011-2's which aer'nt the best so I am going to go with some graphite gasket's. I put a straight edge on the head's before I installed them last time and they seemed OK but apparentley they wer'nt. When I put Eric's engine in with the F cam and My shitty stock AFR valve spring's were floating so I am going to get a valve job while they are out. You still DD'ing the cobra?

--------------------

phat50
¯
Member # 1998

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phat50  Ford pictures for phat50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
Got the head's off so to,orrow they will go in for a resurfacing & valve job.

[Eek!] [Confused] [Eek!] [Frown]

--------------------
New toy coming soon!

Posts: 2860 | From: Richmond / Valley jo/ Petaluma | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Originally posted by phat50:
quote:
Got the head's off so to,orrow they will go in for a resurfacing & valve job.

[Eek!] [Confused] [Eek!] [Frown]
Yeah I just want to make sure everything is rite this time :whoowhoo.

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what heads, if you dont mind me asking? and what headgaskets are you changing to?

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
what heads, if you dont mind me asking? and what headgaskets are you changing to?

AFR 185's and you have a PM.

--------------------

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I seem to have the same problems when changing my oil filters. I just warm the engine up a little and the filter seems to come off a lot easier.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Lemonade
¯
Member # 3692

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemonade  Ford pictures for Lemonade    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Yep 38 year old kid. Little twink? Have We met? You just kidding around [Razz] ?
LOL @ BillyBlownBrokenCrankMustang! What's a twink?!? I think he is just dicking with with ya Mark, you are a kid compared to us!

Lems [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Originally posted by Lemonade:
quote:
quote:

LOL @ BillyBlownBrokenCrankMustang! What's a twink?!? I think he is just dicking with with ya Mark, you are a kid compared to us!

Lems [Big Grin] [Wink] [Razz]

Yeah that's what I figured & it's just the internet way. It is more enjoyable when people You know are messing with You and You don't have to wonder [Wink] . Thank's for the advice 92stang lx [patriot] .

--------------------

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should have called me I would have put the gorilla grip on that filter and twisted it right off! Only problem is that I may have twisted the block with it too. You've seen how red my hair is so you know how strong I am!!!

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com