Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » paint and sanding

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: paint and sanding
SlowStockFox
Stock Fox
Member # 1081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowStockFox  Ford pictures for SlowStockFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a good friend is painting his car {94 gt vert}. well i dunno how its gonna turn out. ive been helping him with masking and taking lights of and what not. but as to when you sand.

?1. do you sand after primer
?2 do you sand after paint
?3how many coats of paint and clear should be applied along with how many for the primer/sealer

what grits do you recomend well doing the stages.

after the paint is all done you sand it and then polish it correct?

thanks cafords

--------------------
i walk around....dont drink and drive

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://hubpages.com/hub/How_To_Paint_a_Car
Posts: 1917 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 75 chevy  Ford pictures for 75 chevy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hot_rod_paint_body_work/index.html

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thirteen Twenty  Ford pictures for Thirteen Twenty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SlowStockFox:
a good friend is painting his car {94 gt vert}. well i dunno how its gonna turn out. ive been helping him with masking and taking lights of and what not. but as to when you sand.

?1. do you sand after primer
?2 do you sand after paint
?3how many coats of paint and clear should be applied along with how many for the primer/sealer

what grits do you recomend well doing the stages.

after the paint is all done you sand it and then polish it correct?

thanks cafords

yes you sand between and after each stage, I use around 400-600 for wet sanding between and as much as 1200-1600 for final wetsanding, be careful on the polish stage as this is where most beginners burn their paint, I usually ask the guy at my local paint shop for recommendation's on each job I do.
Posts: 647 | From: union city | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
hulkgreen50707
¯
Member # 6952

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hulkgreen50707  Ford pictures for hulkgreen50707    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when ur sanding bondo use 80 to get it started when the dent is straight sand it with like 120 grit. after its kinda smooth use a thick primer (rattle can sucks) primer a good 3 or 4 coats let it dry and then put a guide coat on it, when its all dry wet sand wit like 800 to a 1200 grit paper ur car will come out super clean and smooth paint sticks reaqlly good. a good 3 coats of base is good and u can put as many coats of clear as u want but when i use to spray at my old shop we put 3 coats of clear. when its all dry wet sand wit like 1500 to 2000 grit dont go to far or youll break clear. fucks ur hole paint job up. use the 3m wax and deswirler and rubbing compound. its the best stuff most shine and use the pads. any local paint shop will give u info too
75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

when u primer over heavy grit scratches(120 grit)..down the road after the paint job cures( shrinks). It won't look very good.
Always try to finish your bondo in 180-240 grit. Less priming and filling and shrinkage! [patriot]

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

if you really need to primer over 80-120 grit. Use polyester primer. Spray at the minimum of 6.0 mils of material. Finish in 240 grit. Then prime with regular (urethane) primer.

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

75 chevy
¯
Member # 6717

Bumpers need flexible(flexible body filler) repair.. and flexible primer.

... also flex additive in the clear coat.

--------------------
2009 prius
1975 monza

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com