Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how do you tell a reular 302 with a high performance one

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how do you tell a reular 302 with a high performance one
STANGBOY
¯
Member # 7868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STANGBOY  Ford pictures for STANGBOY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how do i tell the difrence between a high performance 302 and a regular 302 whats the difrence please help me out before i do something stupid thanks

--------------------
1986 mustang notchback

she's good from far but far from good

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can tell by the fireing order.the non ho has a old 302 fireing order, while the ho has the 351w fireing order.
non h.o. 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8....
h.o. 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
hope that helped.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

STANGBOY
¯
Member # 7868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STANGBOY  Ford pictures for STANGBOY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks for that info

--------------------
1986 mustang notchback

she's good from far but far from good

two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid  Ford pictures for two-gun kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ December 29, 2007, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: two-gun kid ]

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also the 86 motors came with different heads and pistons. There are tons of people that run 86 shortblocks with aftermarket heads, but I know that the stock 86 heads are less than favorable as compared to standard E7s due to chamber design.

You can tell these heads apart without taking them off of the motor because they use a different spark plug than standard E7s.

[ December 30, 2007, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: turbo50 ]

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
Also the 86 motors came with different heads and pistons. There are tons of people that run 86 shortblocks with aftermarket heads, but I know that the stock 86 heads are less than favorable as compared to standard E7s due to chamber design.

You can tell these heads apart without taking them off of the motor because they use a different spark plug than standard E7s.

in 86 they ran a true flat top piston. 86 heads are the worst.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:

in 86 they ran a true flat top piston. 86 heads are the worst.
There were no valve reliefs in them. It has been 12 years since I have had one apart (86 motor). I do have one sitting on an engine stand with 68K original miles on it. bought it off of a guy that swapped in a 1990 motor into his 86 and then it was side swiped sold he sold the original motor that he had been storing in case the car was every worthy of something like barret jackson etc.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com