Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Timing & fuel pressure ?? Got It Running BUT

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Timing & fuel pressure ?? Got It Running BUT
SSF 50
¯
Member # 7219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSF 50  Ford pictures for SSF 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what should be the timing and fuel pressure be on a 89 5.0 mustang-stock bottom end,b cam,TFS heads,roller rocker,TFS intake,36lbs injector,Pro-M 75mm mass air,FMU,Paxton SN93 w/ 7lbs.,SN95 fuel rails with adjustable regulator.

[ January 22, 2008, 02:19 AM: Message edited by: SSF 50 ]

--------------------
Never Ending List of 50z!!

"BAY AREA STUNNAZ"
Dude that 5.0 is not a 5.0 no way bro. It has to have a diff motor.

SSF 50
¯
Member # 7219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSF 50  Ford pictures for SSF 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any1 [Confused]

--------------------

"BAY AREA STUNNAZ"

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Start by setting the fuel pressure between 39-42lbs vac off. Timing should be at 10 degrees base (make sure to disconnect the plug).

[ December 28, 2007, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
rickm347
¯
Member # 5323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickm347  Ford pictures for rickm347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
start out w/ the basics- fuel pressure with key on engine off is 30psi, key on engine on should be 35 psi and watch your fuel pressure gauge to make sure youre getting the same fuel pressure, if not more throughout the RPMs. Timing is 10deg w/ plug out. your car should run fine like this. if you have an air/fuel ratio gauge, that will help out a lot w/tuning, but leave your fuel press around 35 and no more than 40. youre car will just run rich on that combo w/more than 40 psi of fuel. you have a good lil street combo, just make sure you tune that air/fuel ratio especially since its superchaged.
* also a lot of people run timing in between 10-14 degrees without the plug, just make sure that after you time it, you put the plug back in.

sorry for writing a book for you [Big Grin] --rick

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
Start by setting the fuel pressure between 39-42lbs vac off. Timing should be at 10 degrees base (make sure to disconnect the plug).

sounds like i was right one when i told ya. hope it works for ya. been awhile since my last set up, just wasnt 100% sure

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
SSF 50
¯
Member # 7219

got it running,while it was running for a couple of mins. with 38psi it died out i tryed to start but all it did was crank but not start and smelled fuel real bad,check the plugs and smelled like gas and little wet,so i cleaned all of them and turned it over a couple of times to blow fuel out,fired right up ran good lowered fuel to 35 while lowing you could hear it run better.Was running GREAT [Big Grin] i let it run for about 10-15 mins and then I turned it off,tryed to start it but did same thing just cranking [Frown] ,let it cool down for a while like an hour or more so i can take out the plugs before i took out the plug i figured what the hell try it,FIRED right up

what could be the problem?? i am think to much fuel but i got the fuel pressure at 35, i'am worried about lowering it more and running lean??

SORRY for THE long STORY but WANT to MAKE everything clear on whats going on.

thanks alot for all the help from everyone!! [Big Grin] [Smile]

[ January 23, 2008, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: SSF 50 ]

--------------------

"BAY AREA STUNNAZ"

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the same problem on a motor we tore down. We missed a ground connection to the harness. Once that was fixed it ran fine.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could be a problem with your MAF. If you happen to know someone who has another MAF calibrated for 36's that you could borrow I would try that.

BTW, what disk do you have in your FMU? That most likely would not be your problem but just make sure it is calibrated ok.

SSF 50
¯
Member # 7219

if it was a ground it wouldn't start at all in my past experince.? and why would the MAF make a difference?

i'am going to put 24s on since last time i had this last setup going it ran great with no problems.right know with the 36s it seems to be getting to much gas.!?

[ January 23, 2008, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: SSF 50 ]

--------------------

"BAY AREA STUNNAZ"

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

quote:
Originally posted by SSF 50:
if it was a ground it wouldn't start at all in my past experince.? and why would the MAF make a difference?

i'am going to put 24s on since last time i had this last setup going it ran great with no problems.right know with the 36s it seems to be getting to much gas.!?

If your maf calibration is off (yes, it does happen) or it is dirty it could cause the car to run rich.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com