Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » BATTERY HELP!!! ASAP

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: BATTERY HELP!!! ASAP
Mike-5.0
¯
Member # 1925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike-5.0  Ford pictures for Mike-5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey everyone,

I have an 89 5.0 and having a major problem. I jump in my car a few days ago and my battery guage is very low, almost to the red. So! I am thinking it is the alternator, so I put in a brand new one and still the guage is almost to in the red. Then today I go buy a new interstate battery and put that in and what do you know! car died on the way home from my friends house! Can someone please give me some information on what is going on or if someone else has had the same problem...

Thank you for your time guys

MIke

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sound's like it could be the battery cables. Do a search and see what comes up [patriot] .

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

jp
¯
Member # 8045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp  Ford pictures for jp  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check the fusable link by the starter selioned could cause your problem.
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have your battery, alternator, and voltage regulator tested at autozone for free. make sure they are all out of the car first. good luck.

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by uh0h50:
have your battery, alternator, and voltage regulator tested at autozone for free. make sure they are all out of the car first. good luck.

Before you do this you should do a charging system test. This will tell you if you it is something in your charging system or if your battery is bad.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TASM  Ford pictures for The TASM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you ever find the problem? I'm having the same issues, my battery is not charging so I had the alternator checked and it was find. I bought a new alternator and new battery and the voltmeter still drops way below normal after 10 minutes of driving, losing charge still.

--------------------
1984 Cadillac Eldorado, vogue tires, 100 shot NOS

Posts: 558 | From: nineonesix | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
totalkaos92
¯
Member # 5750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for totalkaos92  Ford pictures for totalkaos92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also check the connections that go into the alt., thats what my problem was.
Posts: 2175 | From: the bay area | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check for corosion..my cables had corosion cumming out the wires...also check your ground

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The TASM:
Did you ever find the problem? I'm having the same issues, my battery is not charging so I had the alternator checked and it was find. I bought a new alternator and new battery and the voltmeter still drops way below normal after 10 minutes of driving, losing charge still.

1st thing you should do is test your charging system. You could have a drain somewhere, bad calbes, etc. These types of problems kinda suck so start with the basics.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can do all the charging system test you want, but until a through visual inspection of all the cables is performed, you're wasting time.

My money is on a burnt alternator harness. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The TASM  Ford pictures for The TASM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
You can do all the charging system test you want, but until a through visual inspection of all the cables is performed, you're wasting time.

My money is on a burnt alternator harness. [Wink]

Hi John. In my case the 6 gauge wire from the alt to the battery, as well as the alt harness with the ASI plug to the alt were swapped. Still the same problem. Not sure if Mike-5.0 checked these wires, I'm hoping he has an update to his problem. I still need to have the charging system tested next week.

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What alternator are you running? 130a, stock, etc? Also, have you checked the fusable link at the starter solenoid?

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
The TASM
CAFords OG
Member # 292

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
What alternator are you running? 130a, stock, etc? Also, have you checked the fusable link at the starter solenoid?

The stock 94 alternator was checked at Autozone to see if the diodes were burnt. Checked out fine, but I went ahead and installed a brand new 200 amp version. No luck. Fusible link and all fuses checked. I'm startng to suspect there is a shortage or drain in the system. I will post when I fine something out.

--------------------

BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to know if this guy Mike5.0 solved his issues, would be nice to fine out what happened.

--------------------
"Funny how cheap ass people have money to do it right the second time, haha!"

S331saleen
¯
Member # 1886

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S331saleen  Ford pictures for S331saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BUCK_FUTT_5.0:
I want to know if this guy Mike5.0 solved his issues, would be nice to fine out what happened.

+1 [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com