Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Pro's and con's of meth injection (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pro's and con's of meth injection
89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anybody know of any and if anyone's running it what do you think.

--------------------
89 lx (stolen and stripped)
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC
01 5.0 Explorer limited Borlas (sold)

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have run it for years and had alot of luck with it. There is tons of info on it on the Web. it was first used in planes in world war 2(pretty sure that was the one) the cons my pump had a intermitant problem last summer and before I could get it fixed .I ovaled a set of expensive head gaskets. I didn't even let it ping as soon as I heard it I shut it down.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have not had any personal experience with it... but I know it would suck to have it run dry at full boost [Smile]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have never had it run dry in over 3 years of having one. I had a pump failure, that did suck but I am going to run it again because when you get the timming all in and the tune is right, It gives a big boost in HP on a pump gass setup.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

purple hatch
¯
Member # 6131

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for purple hatch  Ford pictures for purple hatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran it it worked out great.I would run it again. [patriot]

--------------------
Bone Stock

89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Rodknocker  Ford pictures for 89Rodknocker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard it can cause wear in parts and like pitting of the cyl heads. and due to the corrosive nature of meth. eat away at stuff.

--------------------
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

not at all, I have my heads off and they look just as good as they have always looked. Same heads the entire time with the meth-injection kit. It is a vapor buy the time it hits the heads anyhow.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
methanol 100% is corrosive if allowed to sit in basically anything. i work with sprint cars that run straight methanol as a fuel. the an fittings take a beating over time, but theres no evidence on anything else that you arent using gasoline, other than the way the meth mixes with oil. the meth mix used in injection kits is basically the same as windshield washer fluid, and people rarely have problems with their washer fluid eating its way through anything. that being said, i had some, and blew my motor putting it into peak torque going up a hill on a freeway. my tune was probably mostly to blame, but just like any mod, its yet another area to create a problem. i would be more hesitant to use it on a street car because its much more difficult to tune for partial load jumps and many other things that arent as basic as slamming the throttle from a stop.

[ December 05, 2007, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: kingmoochr ]

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pros:
Add more timing for more power
VERY cheap in the $/HP range
Can run pump gas setup with big boost = big power
Lower intake temps during hot weather (finicky turbo setups in the summer, etc)

Cons:
You run dry = blown HG, major detonation, scorched internals, etc
Can clog nozzles with cheap kits or debris in tank
Another system to maintain for your car
More frequent oil changes are needed

And corrosion only happens when ETHANOL is used, but this should not occur since METHANOL is what we are talking about here. In fact, a water-based injection system actually "cleans" the residue oil-based fuel engines leave inside the internals.

89Rodknocker
CAFords OG
Member # 2951

Is anybody running it on a street car with no issues. I have the anderson kit but haven't installed it yet.

--------------------
94 gt runner (sold)
89 lx Stock(sold)
86 gt T-trim (sold)
73 Camaro BBC

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

you do not need more frequent oil changes with a water meth kit lol. now thats funny. You are only using this kit above about 4 psi of injection. It injects a small amount. The only issue i saw with extended street use was I lost a couple of IAC motors. because of the alch. I mentioned I had a prob withmy kit. I probably should have caught it. it is like anything else on a HP car you have to check kit operations every so often. It had been awhile since I checked mine because it always worked so good.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

89Saleen310
¯
Member # 5397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Saleen310  Ford pictures for 89Saleen310  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
haha, I saw this and was like "WTF?".

-

--------------------
89 Saleen #310
64 1/2 coupe
73 mach 1
73 vert
66 vert
65 vert
67 coupe
67 coupe
66 coupe

Posts: 1128 | From: Oakland Hills (montclair) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 73beast351c:

-

LOL!!!!!!

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:

And corrosion only happens when ETHANOL is used, but this should not occur since METHANOL is what we are talking about here. In fact, a water-based injection system actually "cleans" the residue oil-based fuel engines leave inside the internals.

methanol is highly corrosive. i can send you some now-junk alum fittings from the methanol powered sprint car at the shop if you need proof.
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
got any headers lying around from those sprint cars, need some spreadport stuff [Big Grin]

methanol is more corrosive than ethanol, buy far

and dont drink, not good [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89Rodknocker:

Don't do it on a street car. Don't!

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
got any headers lying around from those sprint cars, need some spreadport stuff [Big Grin]

methanol is more corrosive than ethanol, buy far

and dont drink, not good [Big Grin]

actually, if you seriously wanted to purchase a set, i think we have 1 or 2 we arent using. they come horizontally out from sbc heads about 8 inches and head for the ground for about 18 inches, then back, if you arent familiar with them
getjobdone
¯
Member # 4666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for getjobdone  Ford pictures for getjobdone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 73beast351c:

-

hahah funny you mention that, I thought the same damn thing!

--------------------
91 notch ^ blown h/c/i

Posts: 677 | From: east bay,ca | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kingmoochr:
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:

methanol is highly corrosive. i can send you some now-junk alum fittings from the methanol powered sprint car at the shop if you need proof.
I understand about the properties of methanol but the case of sporadic injection into a boosted SBF is what I was concentrating upon. Thanks for the proof though.

Pure methanol is a solvent..

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

quote:
Originally posted by vpr_klr:
quote:
Originally posted by 89Rodknocker:

Don't do it on a street car. Don't!
I am sorry but that is rediculas it is designed for a street car. They work like they are designed. If anything do not do it on a race car.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

they arent "designed" for a street car, and theyve been in use in racing MUCH longer than on the street. and to the other guy, your statement paraphrased was ethanol is more corrosive than meth. its not. they are both alcohols - hence the 'anol
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

I keep reading this and I can't believe the crap I keep seeing. THEY ARE DESIGNED FOR STREET CARS period!!!!!!! argh

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

happygmore
¯
Member # 7159

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for happygmore  Ford pictures for happygmore    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
I am sorry but that is rediculas it is designed for a street car. They work like they are designed.
If anything do not do it on a race car.

dude you are an idiot. Methanol has a cooler substance that fuel and you are able to throw more power at an engine with boost, n20 because of the cooling temperatures which helps avoid any knocking.

So i guess i better tell my friend that runs Methanol for fuel and has meth injection for cooling that he better not do it on his race car, he will go from 8's to 10's! bwahahahaa

L O S E R

Posts: 421 | From: west san jose | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
happygmore
¯
Member # 7159

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for happygmore  Ford pictures for happygmore    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kingmoochr:

there is always a fix to everything.

1. yes it is corrosive but...

2. if you get anodized fittings and proper fuel lines and a plastic fuel tank or reservoir, you wont have that problem.

3. they also reccomend if the car is going to sit for a while to prime your system with fuel.

Posts: 421 | From: west san jose | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

quote:
Originally posted by happygmore:
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
I am sorry but that is rediculas it is designed for a street car. They work like they are designed.
If anything do not do it on a race car.

dude you are an idiot. Methanol has a cooler substance that fuel and you are able to throw more power at an engine with boost, n20 because of the cooling temperatures which helps avoid any knocking.

So i guess i better tell my friend that runs Methanol for fuel and has meth injection for cooling that he better not do it on his race car, he will go from 8's to 10's! bwahahahaa

L O S E R

You are a NOBODY .Period who only has dumb ass things to say OK. Plus what the fuck did you even say? why don't you go read that shit...edit it so people can understand it and then call me a Idiot. I know almost everything there is to know about water-meth injection. But your friend is not getting the benifit from his set up that a person running pump gass would get....but you are not obviosly smart enough to understand this by your post. Anybody else but happygaymore want the info just pm me I will be glad to help. Dude do you even have a car? So your friend runs methonal for fuel and injects methonal for cooling? why not just run a bigger jet idiot.

[ December 08, 2007, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com