Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Please help!! Sputters,bogs detonates

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Please help!! Sputters,bogs detonates
2fstfru
¯
Member # 453

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2fstfru  Ford pictures for 2fstfru    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just bougt a 93 GT and the car sputters,bogs like it cuts off power and then it stinks like fumes to the point my eyes burn when at WOT. This morning I was in second gear going to third and the car turned off.WTF!

I changed map sensors,adjust the TPS is was off at .89., Mass air, switch TFI.,ignition coil.

I can hear the pump turn on but its quite. It also detonated could it be the fuel pressure reg. or the fuel pump that was just changed 5k miles ago with a Bosch pump. Or the dist.?
Running out of ideas please help! [patriot]

--------------------
SPEED KILLS!....Drive a Chevy live FOREVER!

GreyLX
¯
Member # 5601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyLX  Ford pictures for GreyLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is the base timing set at?

--------------------
93GT DSS331 incon800tti

2fstfru
¯
Member # 453

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2fstfru  Ford pictures for 2fstfru    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its setup at stock, I checked in to that also.

--------------------

totalkaos92
¯
Member # 5750

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for totalkaos92  Ford pictures for totalkaos92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would say check ur fuel presure, was having that prob., see what ur fuel pressure is at wot.
Posts: 2175 | From: the bay area | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
GreyLX
¯
Member # 5601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyLX  Ford pictures for GreyLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was the car runnin fine and then all the sudden it started doing this or did you work on it and then it started this? I would also check to make sure your plug wires are on in the correct firing order.

--------------------
93GT DSS331 incon800tti

2fstfru
¯
Member # 453

quote:
Originally posted by totalkaos92:
i would say check ur fuel presure, was having that prob., see what ur fuel pressure is at wot.

I'll look into the fuel pressure reg.

--------------------

2fstfru
¯
Member # 453

quote:
Originally posted by GreyLX:
Was the car runnin fine and then all the sudden it started doing this or did you work on it and then it started this? I would also check to make sure your plug wires are on in the correct firing order.

I bought the car like that and I will also put some new plug wires!

--------------------

2SIK GT
¯
Member # 3381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2SIK GT  Ford pictures for 2SIK GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ttt [patriot] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
all u see is tail lights if u where driving a chevy

Posts: 979 | From: San Jose Ca | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
1bdpone
¯
Member # 6708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bdpone  Ford pictures for 1bdpone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a similar problem with my 93. I replaced the following items: distributor, cap/rotor/ plugs, plug wires, H-pipe, 02 sensors, ect sensor, EGR valve position sensor and map sensor. I also cleaned the mass air and IAC.

If your EGR system is not working corerectly it will cause detonation. If the cats are plugged (old) the car will bogg down and have no power. If the cars has a mis under load or at wot then it is probably an ignition problem (cap/rotor, coil, plugs or wires).

I also recommend running some carbon cleaner through the intake such as SeaFoam http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm You can use the vacuum line going to the brake booster. Just undo the line and slowly pour the cleaner into it while the car is at idle.

[ November 13, 2007, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: 1bdpone ]

Posts: 182 | From: Tri Valley | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is your check engine light on? If so what codes are you getting?

After you fix any codes that you have I would do a basic tune up (plugs, cap/rotor, and fuel filter).

You might also want to try cleaning the MAF.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
1bdpone
¯
Member # 6708

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1bdpone  Ford pictures for 1bdpone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you do replace a sensor make sure you pull the battery cable off for about 15 minutes. That will reset the computer and allow it to relearn with the new sensor(s).
Posts: 182 | From: Tri Valley | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
2fstfru
¯
Member # 453

quote:
Originally posted by 1bdpone:
I had a similar problem with my 93. I replaced the following items: distributor, cap/rotor/ plugs, plug wires, H-pipe, 02 sensors, ect sensor, EGR valve position sensor and map sensor. I also cleaned the mass air and IAC.

If your EGR system is not working corerectly it will cause detonation. If the cats are plugged (old) the car will bogg down and have no power. If the cars has a mis under load or at wot then it is probably an ignition problem (cap/rotor, coil, plugs or wires).

I put new cap and rotor,and changed a used good working coil, but not the wires.

I also recommend running some carbon cleaner through the intake such as SeaFoam http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm You can use the vacuum line going to the brake booster. Just undo the line and slowly pour the cleaner into it while the car is at idle.

I ran the Seafoam through the gas tank. I'll do it to the motor and see if that helps.

--------------------

2fstfru
¯
Member # 453

quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
Is your check engine light on? If so what codes are you getting?

After you fix any codes that you have I would do a basic tune up (plugs, cap/rotor, and fuel filter).

You might also want to try cleaning the MAF.

No engine light and ran a test and got an 11 code. Did cap and rotor and fuel filter and plugs but not the wires.

--------------------

308stang
¯
Member # 7927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 308stang  Ford pictures for 308stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mine would do that too,but its because my intake tube would fall off my throttle body.

--------------------
308stang

Posts: 71 | From: salinas,california | Registered: Sep 2007  |  :
2fstfru
¯
Member # 453

It only does this when the car is warm. [Confused]

--------------------

Cstang5.0
¯
Member # 4925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cstang5.0  Ford pictures for Cstang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had a car do this to and it was the fuel pump did the car do this before the fuel pump change? if so i would check the fuel reg.

--------------------
88 VERT slow sold
89 coupe stock ; )
02 yukon
05 focus

2fstfru
¯
Member # 453

Ok I replaced the ECT yesterday and it was not hooked up. I just bought the car and it came with a water temp. guage. After taking it off, this morning i noticed that the car will heat up passed halfway mark no higher then the next line afer that and stays there.
I read some where the computer goes into some type of mode and will not let you floor it. I'm thinking I have to lower my water temp. down.
Any ideas how to make it stay cooler? It has a new sumit water pump and I dont know the thermo stat size it has in now. It has a stock radiator with stock fan also. Could it be the headers it has on FMS shorty jet hot coated headers with an exhaust leak!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com