Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » car hickups really bad

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: car hickups really bad
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i get on the gas it goes normal then just starts kinda skipping like its not getting spark or fuel or something, i cant tell what it is i have a new mass air 155lph pump pressure regulator 24lb injectors, the dyno tune said i was running really lean even though my fuel pressure was normal, the idle is also bouncy and sometimes it stalls after i push the clutch in, i have no idea what to check now i have checked all vacuum lines, exhaust for leaks 02 sensors mas air timing fuel pressure and it all seems normal..any ideas?? thanks!! [patriot] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Posts: 834 | From: Oceanside, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
GreyLX
¯
Member # 5601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyLX  Ford pictures for GreyLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im gonna guess Vacuum leak. Unmetered air may be slipping into your intake stream.

--------------------
93GT DSS331 incon800tti

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
start it up at night and spray the plug wire with some water..if you see any spark then I would get new ones.. [Wink]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the walrus  Ford pictures for the walrus    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very good possibility the TFI module has gone bad. Borrow a working one from a friend and throw it on your car, see if it makes any difference. Don't forget the heat sink compound that goes between the TFI and the distributor, you can get the stuff at radio shack. If you decide to buy a new TFI, the Ford units are the best, but also the most expensive.

Justin

--------------------
1992 LX Hatch 13.9@99, sold and bought back after 11 years and restored.
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)
Moved from Sac, CA to SLC, UT

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OneBadHatch  Ford pictures for OneBadHatch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well my plug wires are brand new 9mm fms wires, and i have a msd pro billit thats only about a year and a half old. ever since i put this motor in it hasn't been running right and i cant figure it out, i would take it to get dyno tuned to see if thats the problem but it shouldnt be running this poorly with the mods i have

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
start it up at night and spray the plug wire with some water..if you see any spark then I would get new ones.. [Wink]

I'd try it anyway..I had some new fr 9mm wires that where bad after a few weeks,they're just shitty like that .Check for codes,Usually when a tfi goes,the car will just won't start.Check the tps volts range ,check grounds,vacuum routing of egr system. see if your EGR regulator is working.
If all the above is okay you should put a vacuum gauge on the car where its visable during driving to see if anything funny is going on.
I hate when shit like that happens to my stang..
One time I had your symptoms and fixed the problem by replacing the gas tank as the tank fuel pick up shroud has broken free from the cheap ford tack welds...so when i gased it all the gas would move away from the pick up..
another time was when my vss went. then another time was the bad plug wires nightmare,they all had sparked so i went ahead and replaced alot of sensors thinking the wires where good,I drive it like this for a month the parked it..Someone suggested the spray water trick and bam..
After the replacment all my problems vanished [burnout]
5.0 mustangs...They're fast and cheap but don't buy them unless you like working on them. [Razz]

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

my car has some new codes since i put the new mas air in now its giving me 44 94 and 13 and im not sure which part of the air intake system i has to do with does anybody know what could cause these codes??
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by OneBadHatch:
my car has some new codes since i put the new mas air in now its giving me 44 94 and 13 and im not sure which part of the air intake system i has to do with does anybody know what could cause these codes??

44 AIR system inoperative (smog code)
94 AIR system inoperative - Transmission TCC circuit/solenoid problem
13 (O) ISC did not respond properly (extends to touch throttle then retracts for KOEO) -
(R) Idle Speed Control motor or Air Bypass not controlling idle properly (generally idle too high)
(M) ISC sticking, open ITS circuit or TP sticking

Sound like you have issues with your smog shit (or it's not hooked up) and your IAC/ISC. If you are having wierd idle then change your IAC/ISC or make sure it is hooked up properly. Next sort out those smog codes [patriot]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Vacuum leak!!!!!!

[patriot]

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

not to be dumb but what is the IAC/ISC? also i dont have any smog shit lol umm my pump coal box is all gone and what so what do i need to check/replace??
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

I think idle air control,and idle speed control.
make sure you have all the egr shit connected or the car will do strange things and also no vacuum leaks.use a vacuum gauge.vato zone loans them out [Wink]

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

checked everything possible there are no vacuum leaks.... so if i don't have a smog pump or coal box or anything what am i supposed to connect the smog stuff too

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

GreyLX
¯
Member # 5601

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GreyLX  Ford pictures for GreyLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
checked everything possible there are no vacuum leaks.... so if i don't have a smog pump or coal box or anything what am i supposed to connect the smog stuff too

So what did you do with the vacuum lines that go to the smog equipment?

[Confused]

--------------------
93GT DSS331 incon800tti

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

plugged/removed is that bad?? i didn't think it was bad when i did it but it would'nt be the first time i was wrong lol

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would sneak up behind it and scare the shit out of it!. A surefire cure for hickup's...

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

haha yea... i tried that lol [patriot]

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GreyLX:
Im gonna guess Vacuum leak. Unmetered air may be slipping into your intake stream.

[patriot]
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

if one more person says vacuum leak i swear to god.... there is NO vacuum leak i have checked every little thing for it with carb cleaner there is not even a hint of a leak...can anyone else give me some useful info??

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you tried clocking the mass air meter. Rotating it around to see if the pickup tube for sensor needs to be in a different spot. I have never ran into problems with that ,but I have heard of people who have. good luck

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

no, i just bought a new one that is calibrated for where its sitting in the intake tube

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

nothin?

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

[Roll Eyes]

[ November 09, 2007, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: street_illegal_stang ]

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

did you ever spray the plug wires? have you seen what vacuum your getting during the "hick ups" via gauge in car or boost gauge; that can tell you a few thing such as flutering vacuum indicate bent valve. you can tell if your timing is too advanced.. buy a manual an read up on the trouble shooting section as it verifys symptoms
and points at possible faulty part. do you have any codes poping up?

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
if one more person says vacuum leak i swear to god.... there is NO vacuum leak i have checked every little thing for it with carb cleaner there is not even a hint of a leak...can anyone else give me some useful info??

Did you fix your code 13?
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
OneBadHatch
¯
Member # 970

yes to spraying the plugs and no to fixing the 13, im not sure what it is i need to fix...

--------------------
1990 GT
TFS Intake and Cam
AFR 165's
Plus all the goodies

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com