Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » h/c/i swap this weekend,

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: h/c/i swap this weekend,
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im planning on doing the swap this weekend, edlebrock rpm heads,x-cam,1.6rr, and a cobra maniflod on my stock bottom end. any tips or tricks? and what kind of power gains should i expect?

thanks brandon

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thirteen Twenty  Ford pictures for Thirteen Twenty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
check your valve to piston clearance, I would think around 80 hp???
Posts: 647 | From: union city | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IM GONNA RETARD THE CAM 6*, OR SHOULD I RUN AN F CAM?

--------------------

lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do 4* instead of 6.

--------------------
*NorCal

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

i was reading in another post that they wanted 6* if using longtubes and 4* if using more restrictive exhaust.

--------------------

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

what is the powerband gonna be like? and is there any way of making arounf 325 at the wheels?

[ October 23, 2007, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: ranger guy ]

--------------------

91Trunkster
¯
Member # 6598

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91Trunkster  Ford pictures for 91Trunkster    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not with that combo.

--------------------
Yellow94GT never touched anyone's sig or banned anyone, so I'm going to quit spreading that rumor. It's not like I have any proof anyways. All yellow94gt and other mods have done is volunteer their time to help other people buy/sell parts, learn how to make their cars go faster and meet fellow enthusiasts. I'm a hater, but it's hard to hate on these facts. I have saved hunrdeds, maybe thousands of dollars here buying and selling parts over the years alone, but I don't care, this website owes me damnit, and I'll piss on it as much as I want. Us haters gonna hate. Why contribute to something when you can take for free?
I act like I'm@Age15
I make friends on the internet that are@Age18
I was picked on in my youth so I became a bully@Age24
My mouth started to run 24/7 on the internet, but my car never at the track@Age26
First pubic hair@Age30
Troll@Age31
My internet friends and I ALL just got the boot for good!@Age31
Yes, you read it right, 31 and just as childish as my fresh out of highschool internet friends@31
Oh yeah, this isn't my website, so no one has to ask for my permission to change my sig. Hell, not like I pay the CAFORDS bill, so why should they need my permission to put what they want on their site? We're all guests here. Maybe some of us should start acting like guests or leave?

(510)375-1589

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

then what do i need?

--------------------

kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
victor efi, vic jr or equivalent heads, and a custom cam, and you might hit 325 if you have the cam spec'd for max power.
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

WOULDNT THE VICTOR JR'S BE OVERKILL ON A STOCK BOTTOM END?

--------------------

kaoticmk2
¯
Member # 5186

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaoticmk2  Ford pictures for kaoticmk2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Brandon

When you get a Mustang? Hey call me I want to take a look. You know the numer. Mikey

kingmoochr
¯
Member # 5834

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingmoochr  Ford pictures for kingmoochr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yes, they would, however, you said you wanted 325 at the wheels with a stock bottom end. the only way to get that is "overkill" the combo and rev the piss out of it
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

ok well what cam would i wanna run? i was told that the x cam wont clear the bottom end with the performer heads,even if the cam is retarded. so what cam should i run?

--------------------

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
285..some guy dynod his car where my friend works and had that trick flow hci kit, 278rwhp automatic fox.

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me know how it goes. I plan on doing an HCI upgrade once I finshing putting my garage together. I like to hear any tips you have.

Thanks [patriot]

--------------------
91 GT
(cafords reg date: 6/02)

Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

anybody?

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trust me on this.......
Notch your pistons using the Isky tools.

My buddies stock bottom end with AFR185's wouldn't turn over with the stock GT cam & 1.6's.....pistons hit the valves when turning it over by hand. We notched the pistons & threw in a nasty custom profile that ended up putting down 330RWHP.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

how much and where can i do this?

--------------------

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Trust me on this.......
Notch your pistons using the Isky tools.

My buddies stock bottom end with AFR185's wouldn't turn over with the stock GT cam & 1.6's.....pistons hit the valves when turning it over by hand. We notched the pistons & threw in a nasty custom profile that ended up putting down 330RWHP.

Yep Eric had to use the isky tool when I bought My shortblock off of Him to get Mine to work with F cam, 1.6RR, afr185's. I would also rocommend upgrading the AFR valve spring's when using an aftermarket cam as Mine were floating at aroune 5200 RPM's with the stock AFR spring's & it's ALOT easier to change em with the head's off the engine [patriot] . Plus the valve spring's were only around 130 buck's if I remember rite. IF You have the money some titanium keeper's and new lock's would be a smart choice to put on while changing the spring's [Wink] .

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

well should i just rebuild the shortblock with better pistons with the valve releifs already in them or get rid of the heads and get the smaller ones?

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ranger guy:
well should i just rebuild the shortblock with better pistons with the valve releifs already in them or get rid of the heads and get the smaller ones?

Depends on your budget....
You've got to pay to play.....no matter what.
My own experience..... One of the best daily drivable combo's was when we ran a stock shortblock in the wife's car with H/C/I & notched pistons. Ran HARD, sounded great, & had no real issues.
Rebuilding a 302 can be done on a budget....but add a few extra hundred $$$ & you could have a 347.....add a little more & you could have 400+RWHP, but pretty soon you're looking at a motor that costs more than the car is worth. That's what you'll find in the fastest N/A cars on this site.....expensive bad-ass motors.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol I actualy ground the valve reliefs with my di-grinder and a carbide bit on my 302. It lasted along time with no piston problems. I also have a pretty steady hand from 100's of hours of porting work.

[ October 28, 2007, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com