Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » special tool for head studs

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: special tool for head studs
lky_3
¯
Member # 1116

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lky_3  Ford pictures for lky_3  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do i have to use a special tool to install head studs on my 306?

--------------------
89 GT

Yes, Primer is a color!

Posts: 891 | From: City of Angels / 91405 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They just thread right in. I use liquid teflon on the threads to keep them from seizing into the block and seal the lower ones because they go into a water port. Dont use loc-tight on any head bolt or stud.... just a tip. A certain shop that did engine work on my GT (before I got it) used it on my head studs and I'm having a hell of a time getting them out for the new engine I'm putting together.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Chase teh threads first before you install the studs. They should go right in. If your using arp studs they have a allen provision in the top. [patriot]

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
They just thread right in. I use liquid teflon on the threads to keep them from seizing into the block and seal the lower ones because they go into a water port. Dont use loc-tight on any head bolt or stud.... just a tip. A certain shop that did engine work on my GT (before I got it) used it on my head studs and I'm having a hell of a time getting them out for the new engine I'm putting together.

+1 make sure you use teflon seal on the lower ones or they will leak coolant. Trust me... I learned this one the hard way [Wink]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used medium strenghth loc tite (blue) top and bottom on the studs. no leaks here. Definitely chase the threads tho, I used a 7/16th tap and pulled out a lot of CRAP.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
I used medium strenghth loc tite (blue) top and bottom on the studs. no leaks here.

The biggest problem I'm having is getting them back out. You would think that a shop would know not to put loc-tight on studs and these retards used the high strength red so I'm fighting to get them all out. I have used the liquid teflon on several sets of head bolts or studs and never had a problem. I agree with chasing the threads, I forgot to mention that in my first post. I also go 10 ft #s higher on the upper bolt torque. I read its supposed to hold the head down better or something like that, I dont remember exactly why they say to do it but I have also done it several times without a problem. Just dont go far past the recommended torque specs from the bolt maker.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
TOPnotch
¯
Member # 1340

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TOPnotch  Ford pictures for TOPnotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would not use loc tite its not needed. Like asskickn88 said defenatly use teflon thread sealer on the bottom holes, and I use molly lube on the top holes to lube them and keep them from getting stuck.

--------------------
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgoten!!!

1QWKCHP
1QWKDRP

mnstruc
¯
Member # 5652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnstruc  Ford pictures for mnstruc    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the best way I have found to remove studs that have been loc tite'd in is to use three nuts on the stud. Cinch them all against each other, then use the middle one to back the stud out. They will be tough, however, they will come out with patience.

--------------------
63 Fairlane 500
65 GT-1 Mustang Race Car
67 Mustang A code Coupe
68 Ranchero GT
72 Bronco Sport
03 Mustang GT
07 F-350 4x4 Dually Diesel

Posts: 95 | From: Sunnyvale, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  :
S351-R
CAFords OG
Member # 1605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S351-R  Ford pictures for S351-R    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
I also go 10 ft #s higher on the upper bolt torque. I read its supposed to hold the head down better or something like that, I dont remember exactly why they say to do it but I have also done it several times without a problem. Just dont go far past the recommended torque specs from the bolt maker.

The main reason for that is, or at least the theory is, because of the "V" shape of the motor, when the lower intake manifold is bolted and torqued down it will act like a wedge and have an outward push on the top row of bolts. You can apply more torque on head studs than head bolts. A little extra clamping force won't hurt.

[ October 18, 2007, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: S351-R ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com